Chapter 26: Headaches

Start from the beginning

"Is he telling the truth?"

He didn't respond.

"Nyko?" I turned to him.

"I need to go." Handing the brush back to me, he hurried out the door.

"Nyko!"

The handle clicked into place and his footsteps faded away. I knew he hid things from me throughout the years, but I was starting to think there was more to it.

***

I sat in the middle of the bed and watched the door. Tapping the key against my leg, I wondered how long Tobias was going to stay out drinking. The next fight was coming up, and Nyko was avoiding me. I really just wanted to talk to Tobias and figure out what was true and what was not.

The door opened, and the devil stumbled in.

"Hi."

He jumped and spun around with a gun in his hand. Shocked by see a barrel being pointed at my head, I toppled to the side and crawled to the headboard.

"Raja?"

"What are you doing? Put it away."

He chuckled and tossed the gun onto the couch in the corner. "I nearly shot you."

"Hmmm..." I folded my arms.

The devil sat by my feet. "How'd you get in here?"

I flashed him the key. "You had a spare in the drawer, so I stole it from you the last time I was here. I didn't want to have to risk trying to find you in another one of your drinking parties."

Flopping back on the bed, he let out a groan. "You should have. Tonight wasn't even very good. The guy sucked at holding his liquor."

"You drink too much."

Rolling over, he climbed on top of me. "Just admit you love me already, so we can go home, and I'll become a respectable man." He kissed my neck.

"From the few memories I have, I doubt you could ever be a respectable man."

He smiled before giving me a proper kiss. "You were always a clever one. From the moment I spotted you in the surplus warehouse, I knew you were too smart for me. Made me want you even more."

I sunk down into the pillows as Tobias undid my coat. His hand ran down my chest.

"I remember that place."

"Yet you still think I'm from hell." He reached the waistband of my skirt.

"I don't know what to think anymore." I lifted my hip, so he could slide it off.

"Tell me what you remember, and I'll try to fill in the blanks." He pulled his shirt overhead.

"You attacking me." I peered up at him. "Tarnishing my honor, and making me unworthy of Zev."

Rubbing his face, he sat back on his heels. "Not him again. Even after all these years, I still hate hearing that name. First off," he unbuckled his belt, "you threw a fit, worse than any child I've ever seen, in front of the emperor and the leaders of the armed forces. You earned that punishment. When I took your ass," he slapped my thigh.

"Don't." I moved them away from him.

"It's because you lost a bet on an obstacle course."

I frowned. "I fell."

Tobias nodded.

"They laughed at me, and then, you did that."

He grabbed my chin and made me look at him. "You did fall, but you got back up and finished it. I also gave you the option of not having sex, and you gave me a long speech about honor bullshit in return. You were all mopey the next day, but you were very willing."