16. Confrontation Fire

Cruhteo, Asseylum, Lemrina, and Inaho walk in past me, as I stand dunbfounded in the doorway.
I brew and pour two more cups of cocoa, setting all four down on the breakfast nook.
"So..." I start.
"I invited Asseylum along. She," Inaho references to Lemrina, "must have tagged along."
"I-" I try again, getting cut off.
"Your dad gave Lemrina and I a ride,", Asseylum interjects me.
"And I had to come... Asseylum wanted me to." Lemrina adds.
"Can I speak now?" I ask, clearly frustrated. Each of them seem to giggle at me- aside from Inaho, who smirks. He doesn't have much range, does he? "What's so funny?!"
"You're like... A fluffy angry puppy, Slaine." Asseylum says, as if to belittle my frustration.
More calmly, I sit down and sigh. "May I speak then?"
"Nope. First speaker is Lemrina. She goes first to explain."
I make a disgruntled sigh, peering from Asseylum to Lemrina.
Lemrina looks a bit nervous.
"I... I saw Slaine with, Inaho, is it? At the book store, and I became very... Jealous. I've had a crush on him for a while. He knows that..."
Inaho didn't change much aside from looking down at his hands.
"Inaho? What did you see?" Asseylum said softly.
He takes a moment, thinking about the details. "I walked into the Café, and got my drink before sitting down. I always do. I see Lemrina with Slaine, and," he stops, looking around a moment, still holding his steel reserve. "He leaned in and kissed her."
I don't know why he'd think I would kiss her. My heart breaks all over again.
"Slaine?"
"I didn't kiss her, Inaho... I swear, I didn't. She told me to lean in for a secret, so I did."
"That sounds like something from a kids TV show."
"It's what happened, Inaho... Please, I swear..."
Inaho looks to Lemrina, who in turn looks down at her cup of cocoa.
"I..." Lemrina begins, clearly hurt. "He's telling the truth. But I should've known Slaine wouldn't accept it- he wouldn't accept me. I'm some basket case he'd have to take care of."
Everyone is silent for a good moment.
"Now, Lemrina. You're no bas-"
"I don't care what you say, Asseylum! I want to hear from Slaine!" Lemrina shouts viciously. She has tears in her eyes, and I can't help but feel bad. "So. What- what do you say, Slaine?"
I'm in silence, and I can feel harsh eyes on me. "Lemrina... I'm not in love with you. But I care about you... A lot. I come to that bookstore nearly every week to come see you and see how you're doing. I'm sorry..."
"But you're not... You're not sorry. I'm just an inconvenience." She stands weakly at that point. Asseylum gets up too, and looks at Inaho.
"Nao, work things out with Slaine. Won't you?"
The expressionless boy sighs with a nod, and Asseylum leads Lemrina to the door.
Cruhteo comes downstairs after I call for him, and he drives the girls home.
I turn to Inaho, and sigh, looking down at my socks.
"I'm sorry."
"You should apologize to her. And I should apologize to you. I didn't hear you out." He says, plane as ever.
"You were right to be upset. I'm really sorry, Inaho."
He stares at me for a good bit.
"The cocoa was good, Slaine."
I feel hurt. He won't forgive me for my, um, non-wrong doings. He goes to the door and slips his shoes on, and laces them up. "It's rather cold out. Do you have a scarf I could borrow? I'll give it to you at lunch tomorrow."
I smile, knowing things are okay, and go to get a scarf.
"Unless you'll let me stay, and watch a movie." Inaho finishes, giving a real smile. Rare sight, but one I'm happy to see, nonetheless.