15. One Foot on The Ground

"Inaho," I approach him softly. "Whats been going on?"
"Nothing Slaine."
"You hardly talk to me..."
"Why do you say that?"
His passive aggressive tone lacks sympathy. This means he must be upset with me for some reason or another. Inko is staring at us in surprise as we bicker.
"I say that because I've gotten a total of eight messages from you in the past two weeks!" I say, clearly frustrated. "What happened? What did I do?"
For a single, brief, nearly-not-there moment, I see his resolve break. His face shows a contorted pain like he's been stabbed in the back.
"Stop talking to me. Just," Inaho begins, gently pushing my arm. Tears well up in my cyan eyes, and my lip tightens. "Go sit with your friend." He manages to finish, turning back to his lunch.
The table around us seems surprised. Inko looks almost sad. Asseylum is shocked... Even Rayet has a look of sympathy.
And it breaks my heart.
I stand up, and walk back to Harklight, my eyes stinging with tears.
"Didn't go well?" Harklight asks, showing actual concern.
"No... He told me to go away, basically." I say, burying my face into my sweater sleeve.
Harklight pets my hair gently, and sighs.
"It's okay, Slaine. He'll come around."
I shake my head no.

Once the school day is over, Cruhteo greets me at the door. "Good afternoon," he starts.
"Hi." I reply.
"I'm going out... Would you like to accompany me?"
"Where?"
"Dinner with the Vers Allusia."
With a disgruntled sigh, I say no and walk upstairs.

It's a chilly December night. I'm so heartbroken... I send him a message, against my judgement.
"Orange, what is wrong?"
He doesn't reply.
"Inaho, please."
"I don't want to talk."
"Why? Please tell me what's wrong..."
"Fine."
"Thank you,"
"I saw you at the Café when you kissed that girl from the bookstore."
"What? No, that's not what you think. Please, let me explain."
"How do you intend to?"
"Face to face."
A while goes by before he responds.
"I'll walk over to your place."
"Okay. Be safe please."
"Mhm."

My heart hurts even more now, and anticipation starts to chip away at me.
I get dressed in nice clothes. A poofy maroon sweater, dark gray jeans that got my legs really nice, and matching maroon socks. I rush downstairs and start to make hot cocoa. Hopefully he isn't too cold.

When I start to pour the cocoa, my phone lights up.
"I'm here." It says.
I pour out the second cup and rush to the door, a nervous expression on my face.
Standing next to him is Cruhteo, Asseylum, and... Lemrina.
"This should be interesting." Cruhteo says, tapping the floor with his cain. "I'll let you kids talk. Slaine, I'll be in my study."
"Oh... O-okay..." My voice barely cracks out.

I didn't expect this, and it seems I only have one foot on the ground...