4: The Best Dad

"You're late."
"Oh, sorry Dad," I say.
"Excuse?"
"It started raining."
Cruhteo looked me over. After a moment he nodded.
"Well dinner is almost ready. Get cleaned up, please."
"Of course," I reply. I slip off my shoes and notice that I put on Halloween socks. They have little bats on them. Think that's a good reason for me to smile to myself.
I head up to my room quickly and drop off my school stuff at my desk. I take off my school sweater and change my shirt from the white dress shirt to an orange shirt with cartoon bats on that too.
I realize that it matches my socks. I wiggle my toes and smile again.
After getting changed I wash my hands and head back downstairs.

Sitting down at the table, dad brings in plates of grilled salmon that looks absolutely perfect. It's accompanied by mashed potatoes that look like they have garlic in them. This looks really really yummy, and I can't wait.
I suppose I should describe my dad.
Well, 'Dad' is not really my dad. He adopted me because no one knows what happened to my family. All we know is there were parents. That's all. But Dad, who's named Cruhteo, takes really good care of me. He's got blonde hair, blue eyes and a strong jaw line. He's got no wife or girlfriend, but I think he's been trying to date outside of work. I don't really ask though.
"How was school, Slaine?" Cruhteo asked as I took my first bite of salmon.
After chewing it over, I reply.
"Good. I met some new people today. Made up that test in Mr. Saazbaum's class." Dad and Saazbaum work together outside of Aldnoah High under the Vers family company. Dad is actually their cousin, so he's technically a Vers.
"How is Saazbaum?"
"Grouchy. Good, though. He hasn't been as scary to the students lately."
"Good to hear. Did you learn anything new today?"
I think back today for a moment in silence.
"Professor Trillram doesn't like to give credit to Galileo for discovering the concept of The Acceleration of Gravity."
"That's... An oddly specific thing. Why?"
I shrug. "Probably just doesn't care."
Silence as we ate. Also, these are garlic mashed potatoes. Just so you know.
"What would you like to do tomorrow, Slaine?"
"Hm?" I ask, slightly confused. "Oh, today is Friday isn't it?"
Cruhteo replied with a nod.
"Well I dunno. Maybe we could go look around the flea market?"
Cruhteo rolled over the thought.
"You do have an eye for things that aren't ordinary. Your own style."
I smile at him, and finish up my salmon.
Dad finishes too and gives me a sorry look.
"Sorry kiddo, but I gotta go in to work real quick. I'll be back around midnight."
"Oh, alright dad," I smile. "I'll do the dishes."
"Thank you Slaine," he said.
We both stood up, and after he slipped his coat on, he hugged me.
Cruhteo ruffled my hair and said,
"Good night Slaine. I'll see you tomorrow."
"Night dad. I love you,"
"I love ya too."
Then, he walked out the door.
With a sigh, I start washing the plates and then cleaned up the rest of dinner.
Soon after I went back up stairs and started on my English assignment; write a disambiguation of the last book you read. For me, it was Ken Kesey's One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. It's currently 5:45 o'clock.

I've finished this at 7:23, so pretty good time. Wasn't hard to do, considering I read that book pretty thorough. I'm gonna play some video games and then probably head to sleep. With a yawn, I realize I'm pretty tired. Well, I should check my phone. Maybe dad called or something.
Wait... A text. From an unknown number.
"Hey bat. I'd like to grab lunch with you tomorrow."
"Orange?"
Now I wait for a reply.
Woah, quick.
"Yeah. Do you wanna meet up?"
"Sure, I guess. I may be busy though."
"Okay. If you can, meet me at the Cafe across from Aldnoah High."

Right now, it feels like I'm halfway to heaven. I can't believe this...

_____________________________________________

Ayy it's gonna pick up soon! I really hope y'all enjoy. Please leave feedback!