Chapter 12

You know that feeling, where every single reason that tied you down to this earth was completely cut off, leaving you just standing there?

Well that's me.

My only reason to even be alive is in jeopardy, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

**

Mrs.Garcia is in my room most of the time. I understand, though. Seeing your son not being able to breathe on his own wouldn't want to be a sight you want to stare at for too long.

Dylan and Gwen come and go, my mom and dad have left to go back to Kansas, since they need to work.

And since I'm getting better, I can finally breathe on my own again. Well, for a while. Then my rib messes my lung up, and those damn tubes are stuck down my throat again.

They won't let me visit Tyler. They say too much stress on my body could make me have a panic attack, and I don't need to have one of those... again.

After Mrs.Garcia told me that Tyler wasn't awake I just.. I blanked. I stopped breathing. I felt bile come up my throat, and yet I couldn't open my mouth to say or do anything. All I could do was sit there and try to start breathing again.

After they woke me back up, they said they put pills in my system to calm me down. They also knocked me out for a whole day and half the night, so now it's 1:30am and I'm sitting here trying not to think about Tyler being in the room next door, and yet I still can't see him.

I decide to call Dylan, to see if he's awake.

3 rings later, and it goes to voicemail.

I frown, calling back.

This time it doesn't ring at all. It goes straight to voicemail.

I sit up a bit in my bed, staring at his number. My eyes start to water as I realize he's probably ignoring me. I mean, who would want to hear me complain more about my life?

I decide to watch some TV to get my mind off things, only to see that teen wolf is playing rerunds.

My stomach lurches as I hear Tyler's voice on it. I quickly change the channel, even though I know I won't be sleeping tonight.

**

"Mom, honestly I'm fine. Yeah, Mrs.Garcia is taking care of me. Yeah, okay bye." I finally hang up on my mom after an hour of just lecturing me.

"You're rib is healing, but it might collapse again. But the good news is, your eye has officially healed." says the doctor as he walks in, giving me a pearly white smile.

I nod, gathering my food on my tray to have them take it from me.

My mom is supposed to wheel me around outside for a little bit today, to get some fresh air, since I've been in this place for 2 weeks now.

And there it is, that gut wrenching feeling again.

2 weeks.. and I still haven't seen my boyfriend. I blame myself for it, since I can't control my anxiety attacks.

But plans have changed, and I'm not getting to go outside today. I understand though, my mom's work needs her. And since I'm healing, it's no big deal.

"Mrs.Garcia.." I trail off as her eyes meet mine, and she shakes her head sadly.

"No baby, you can't see him. I'm sorry." she says, her eyes full of sorrow.

I avoid eye contact, looking out my window at the trees slowly dying.

There's the ache again.

**

"What are you doing?" I giggle, glancing up at the snow falling from the sky.

"I'm not letting you get those new shoes all wet." Tyler says, grinning from ear to ear as he continues to hold me up from the ground.

I look up at his face, seeing how his eyes glow and his cheeks are flushed from the wind.

His eyes flutter down, noticing I was looking at him.

"Thank you for the best Christmas of my life." I whisper, my lips inches from his.

"My pleasure, baby." he whispers, as he kisses me, and I feel the smile in it. And honestly, it was. The best Christmas ever.

**

"Happy birthday!" someone whispers in my ear, and my immediate thought is... no.

"Tyler?" I croak, my eyes opening.

But all I see is Dylan's disappointed face.

"I'm sorry." I spit out, my hands appearing at my face, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

"It's okay, I shouldn't of woken you up like that." he says, and I notice he's holding something in his hands.

"Whatcha got there?" I ask, my tone light.

"Just a little something. But you have to tell me how you feel first." Dylan says, and I give him a weird look.

"I feel fine. Brand new, actually. Why?" I ask cautiously, taking a deep breathe, noticing the pain was gone.

He grins, and shakes his head.

"What day is it again?" he asks, and I narrow my eyes.

"December 23rd." I mumble, the ache coming back.

Dylan sees my change in attitude, and jumps on it.

"Let's get out of here." he says, pulling me out of bed.

"Dylan, I don't get out of here till the 27th." I explain, sitting back down on my bed.

He gives me a cheeky smile, and I can't help but smile back. I've missed my best friend.

**

"And a major fuck you." I say, smirking over at Dylan as I beat him at bowling.

"I went easy on you.." he says, taking the ball from my hands as he puts them up. I get up and follow him, careful not to move too fast. I'm still worried about my damn rib.

"You look like an elderly woman." Dylan giggles, and I smack him across the arm.

"But you don't smack like one.." Dylan mumbles, rubbing his arm.

I walk towards the counter where we pay, yet an arm hooks through mine as they pull me away.

"What? We gotta pay." I tell him, but he shakes his head.

"We're not done," he says, his eyes twinkling. I open my mouth to object, but he covers it with his hand as he pulls me towards the game room.

"Games, Dylan?" I laugh, but quickly stop as he glares at me.

"Shut up." he says, and I listen by nodding my head.

He keeps walking past the games, to where the parties are usually held. He turns around, holding up a blind fold.

"No." I tell him, but can't help the smile that comes to my face.

"You remember?" he teases, and I nod my head, my eyes watering as I relive my 16th birthday party.

"Dylan!" I screech, my arms flinging around him as he walks in my front door.

"Hey Scots." he mumbles in my hair, and I feel something in his hoodie pocket.

"Whatcha got there?" I ask, my hands about to go in his pocket but he leans back, looking embarrassed.

"Nothing." he says, pushing his way past me. I look over my shoulder at him walking away, but I don't have time to think about it was more guests arrive at my house.

**

"Happy birthday to you!" ends the song, as everyone cheers around me as I blow out my candles. I smile, and quickly everyone's getting a piece of cake.

"Scots." someone whispers behind me. I look behind me to see Dylan looking over at me, motioning me to follow him.

I get up, no one noticing as I follow Dylan out the back door.

He quickly stops me, turning around to face me. He holds up a blind fold, a questioning look on his face.

I narrow my eyes, but let him put it on me.

He grabs my arm, leading me towards the outside, since I feel the cold on my bare legs.

"Shit Dylan, it's freezing." I mumble, but he just grunts in response.

Slowly as stops walking, and I run right into him.

"Sheesh." he mumbles, and I crack up.

"Um, okay. You can take it off." he whispers.

I reach up to untie it, and my eyes focus on what's in front of me.

"Dylan..." I start, but can't finish as I burst out in tears.

He led me to the play house in my backyard that no one ever goes in anymore.

"You actually listen to me complaining.." I say, giggling as I run up the steps to the door.

Through the windows I could see the lights, and I had already known what was inside since I talk about it so much.

"Of course I do. It's all you ever talk about." he says as he walks up behind me.

My eyes widen as I take in my new studio.

**

"
I'd always wanted to be a painter." I say as Dylan ties the blind fold on me.

"Trust me, we all knew." he says laughing.

I remember all I would ever complain about was how my parents couldn't afford it and how I only had a pencil and paper to draw on. After what Dylan had done... I knew I'd never have a better best friend.

"You ready?" Dylan asks, and I hear him open the door.

"I've become used to being blinded." I say, laughing.

I see the lights come on through my eyelids, and my stomach jumps as I hear a familiar voice.