Chapter 3

"I cannot fucking believe you're taking me to this." squeals Gwen. I laugh, pulling at my hair that's curled in long locks.

Gwen is one of the girls from the group of people that was at meet and greet. She contacted me on twitter once apologizing again, and since then we've had a nice conversation. I figured I could use a friend out here other than Dylan and Tyler.

"So Tyler really won't mind?" she asks again, and I roll my eyes.

"Neither of them will." I confirm, walking towards Tyler's car parked outside my apartment waiting for us. Tyler greets Gwen, and I slide in the back with her. I see Dylan in the passenger seat on his phone. He's always on that god damn phone.

I see Gwen sneaking a glance over at me, and I look at her questioningly. She slides her phone out of her little bag, opening it up. She texts me, and I hear my phone buzz.

"Is Dylan dating anyone?" she asks, and I giggle to myself.

"Secrets aren't nice." Tyler yells from the front, winking at me in the rear view mirror. I mouth "wait" at him and he nods. Dylan doesn't even look up.

Soon we were at the party, and I see Hoechlin's big mansion show up into view. Gwen gasps, and I soon do too.

There were 5 black vans lined up outside the gates, cameras flashing like nobody's business.

"Shit, they're blocking the gate." Tyler mumbles, and I grab my phone, dialing Hoechlin's number.

"Hello?"

"Hoechlin, we can't get in, there's--"

"Yeah I know. I'm working on it, hold tight." he ends the call, and I tell Tyler.

"Well, okay." he says, pulling over near the side.

Tyler turns off the car, leaving as in a awkward silence.

"So how's school Gwen?" asks Tyler, breaking the silence.

She tells us about how she wishes I was in her grade, or yet in her school. She giggles that I'm younger, and I stick my tongue out. Tyler nods, knowing some of the teachers. I bite my lip, losing interest in the conversation. I study Dylan, noticing he's been quiet. Gwen laughs loudly, causing him to look up, but he quickly looks back down at his screen.

I open my mouth to say something
to him, but get cut off by screeching of iron gates and yelling.

"He must've sent guards down here." Tyler mumbles, starting the car. I realize I was freezing, and I grab my jacket from the back.

"You won't need that later." Tyler speaks, winking at me in the mirror. I roll my eyes, blushing. Gwen giggles, causing Dylan to look up again from his screen. But again, he looks down.

**

"Hoechlin!" Tyler yells, walking in the door to the huge mansion. He glances down at me, wrapping an arm around my waist.

"Can't lose ya." he yells over the music, and I nod, enjoying it. We make our way through the crowd, finding Hoechlin at the drink table.

"Scots!" he yells, and I immediately can tell he's tipsy, to say the least.

"Hey!" I say, grinning. He shoves a drink in my hand, and I hand it to Tyler. He takes it, taking a sip.

"Where's Gwen?" I yell in his ear, and he shrugs. I narrow my eyes, looking around the floor.

"I'll go find her." I tell him, and he nods, taking another drink from Hoechlin.

I wiggle my way through bodies, recognizing some people. Holland stops me to hug me, and she hands me a drink. I quickly decline, handing it back. She pouts, but gets over it in 5 seconds, hugging me before I make my way through the rest of the crowd.

"Gwen?" I yell, getting no answer. I spot a blonde head over by the frames on the wall, and I quickly walk over to them.

"Gwen?" I ask again, and they turn around, showing Gwen's face.

"Hey, why aren't you out there?" I ask her, leaning against the wall. She looks around, and I look with her. I see Dylan sitting in the corner chairs, on his phone.

"What the hell is his problem?" I growl, stalking over to him.

"Dylan!" I yell, causing him to jump.

"Yeah, what?" he asks, barely audible. I roll my eyes, throwing my hands in the air.

"You do know what's going on around you right?" I ask, motioning towards the dance floor.

He nods, almost sarcastically. I clench
my fists, pissed off.

"I invited Gwen to get along with you, and what do I get? Nothing. What's so interesting about that damn phone?" I shriek, and he rubs his face with his free hand.

"I'm just caught up in something right now." he says, his voice cracking. I instantly calm down at the sound of his voice.

"C'mon." I say, holding my hand out. He looks up at me quizzically. I extend it farther, and he sighs and grabs it. I pull him up, towing him towards the glass doors that lead to the patio. We pass Gwen, and I reassure her with a head nod.

**

"Talk." I order, standing in front of Dylan. He sighs, looking up at me.

"I've been talking to this girl, and--"

"WHAT?" I shriek, getting looks from a couple sitting near us. I calm down, glaring at my best friend.

"What the hell?" I ask, more calm but still as angry. Dylan chews on his bottom lip, contemplating on what to say.

"I've been talking to her for a week now. I was going to tell you, Scots, I was!" he defends, looking stressed. I f'l guilty, so I sit down next to him, hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry for freaking out. I just thought we told each other everything." I add. He looks over at me, eyes crinkled.

"We do, Scots. Let me explain." he takes a deep breath, turning towards me. I pretend to get really excited, and he cracks the first smile I've seen all night.

"Her name is Beth, and she's 23." he starts. I gasp from the age, and he smiles again.

"She lives in Connecticut, and I've only seen pictures of her."

"But..." I add, and he pauses.

"But she won't visit me, or call me. She only texts me, but not very much. Tonight, she uh.. she.." Dylan starts stuttering, and I can tell this is hard for him to say. I grab his hand, squeezing it.

"It's okay." I tell him, and he squeezes back before finishing.

"She told me she's busy, but explained why she was busy... she has a boyfriend, Scots." he finishes, blowing air out of his cheeks. I furrow my eyebrows, taking it in.

"Wait, so she's cheating on you?" I start, but then think about it.

"Oh, no wait. She's cheating on HIM." I gasp, and Dylan looks down.

"Dylan.." I whisper, and he shakes his head, pulling his hand from mine.

"I know, I fucked up big time. I know." he snaps, putting his head in his hands. I scoot closer, hugging him.

"I wasn't going to say that." I tell him, and he doesn't say anything.

"I was gonna say that you shouldn't have to be going through this. You deserve a girl that will be loyal to you, be so damn proud that she's dating Dylan O'Brien, my best friend." I say, causing Dylan's head to tilt up.

"Thanks Scottie." he says, voice cracking. I extend my arms, and he enfolds himself into them.

I see Tyler walk out, a drink in hand. I smile at him, and he smiles back, a little crooked. Dylan leans back, looking behind him.

"I need a fucking drink." he murmurs, standing up and walking past Tyler, taking his drink.