SA 1: Snowflakes Have Been Crestfallen

Winter. December 21st. Seoul.

"When ships of gold and treasure have sunken,
Snowflakes which once were cold but now crestfallen..."

The wind howled as it swiftly flowed across the slightly-opened window pane, causing the snow-clad dreamcatcher to dance with grace.

It was supposed to be a merry Christmas for me, a white and quiet Christmas. But as I eavesdropped with the distant laughters, carols and merrymakings, I was a little bit disappointed.

Look, I'm not into parties and any annoying loud ado. I'm an authentic and demure introvert who loves to stay in libraries forever than to get cat fights on the streets.

Few minutes have passed so fast like a rare breeze in the summer. The once blatant living room has already found its dead end. Soon, a third voice joined the deafening silence; a couple of arguments.

My heart cringed in pain and anger. Not again. Not this time.

My hands began to shiver, causing the book I was holding to stumble down hopelessly. As the door slammed open, swallowing an ashen-faced man in his mid-forties who was currently holding an envelope with his rickety fingers, my heart began to pound endlessly.

"Gyo Ul-ah..it was over. She already handed me the annulment papers."

My father tried to say it in a normal tone but he didn't succeed. His words were broken into manly sobs and his eyes began to well up.

I stood up from my seat and ran directly pass by him. Heading to the master's bedroom, I caught my mother packing her things with a couple of cases lying open on the bed.

"Eomma! Wae naege geureon geoya?! Nae apeoji wae geureoneunde?!"

My once gimlet eyes turned into soft, tender orbs ready to break down into rivulets of tears. I gathered all the forces I could and made another try.

"Eomma-ya! Niga nal sirheohae haneun geol araimnida! Geunde..geunde. Tteoreojijima juseyo. Ah jebal!"

My once cold voice became warm and shaky. When it comes to my mother, I am not myself.

But the other way around goes for her. She hated me and didn't even treat me better, as if I'm not her daughter.

I looked at her eyes, pleading her to not let go. In response, she shook her head sideways, indicating that she's really giving up.

Bringing her baggage along with her, she came approaching me with a pink scented-paper in her hands.

She stopped in front of me, took my right hand from my side and gave me the paper.

After a short while, she smiled at me, tousled my hair and gave me the warmest hug I could ever receive.

Whispering in my ears the last words she was able to leave along with my memory, saying..

"Nae gongjunim, saranghae..."

---
December 22nd. Seoul.

I bet it's the winter breeze that kissed my cheeks early in this dead and snowy morning which made me wake up in no time.

I clasped my hands to dive down into a sacred prayer. After 5 minutes, I guess, I slowly opened my eyes and looked at every nook of my room.

I'll be missing this.