Chapter 24: Missing

Start from the beginning

"What if he was?" he asked, confused.

"Think! If Enlil wanted to get a message across to every slave to support his cause, where would he go? Where do all the slaves gather when they are not labouring?"

"The square?" Mommu's brows knitted together. The square was the small, open space she had seen on the first day not far from the bustling main street. Unofficially recognised as a slaves' area, it was where they took breaks in the shades created by the tall buildings. Civilians avoided it, partially out of acknowledgement for the slaves' own haven and partially because the lack of ventilation made it an undesirable place to linger. It was still sweltering hot, but out of direct sunlight, where they spoke to fellow slaves in their native tongues; it was a place many congregated.

Tia took Mommu down one of the side streets they had passed on the first day of arriving in the steamy city. Following the narrow alleyway past several corners, they emerged into an open area, bathed almost entirely in the shades by the tall stone buildings standing proudly at the perimeters.

Slaves stood, sat, lay everywhere. They converged in little groups, talking in their snappy native tongues, laughing and joking despite the stifling temperature around them. Their shiny, shaved heads were covered in sweat, their bulging muscular limbs scarred and their skin tanned and rough with use.

In the centre was a statue of King Ea and Lady Ishtar, the royal couple standing illustriously upon a decorated stone base, their gazes fixed into the distance and a gentle smile curving at their lips.

Tia used to feel in awe of the king, but now, seeing the plump monarch with his double-chin and bulbous nose, she couldn't help a feeling of resentment and disdain fluttering in her chest, knowing that the people of Kiramone badly needed help and the king had the means to assist, but did not.

I always thought a king must live for the people, for without the people there is no king. She shook her head. The bards always seem to be singing such high praises for the king back in Mooncliffe and Kiramone. And yet I am having doubts, who–

"Enlil!" Tia's thoughts were interrupted by Mommu's sudden shout. She jumped. He took off at a run towards one of the benches, where a familiar, tall figure sat slumped and bent over his knees, head bowed.

Enlil showed no signs that he had heard. Indeed, he remained perfectly still in his defeated position.

Tia touched his shoulder gingerly. He didn't move.

"Enlil?" she said in a quiet voice. She squatted in front of him so that she could look up into his face, buried in his hands. "What is wrong? Where have you been?"

He made a strangled noise.

"It is about your plan, is it not?" Mommu said in a soft tone, kneeling down also. "Tell us, Enlil."

He sat up slowly. His pale eyes were red with engorged blood vessels as though he had been crying. His cheeks were red and his lip had little teeth marks on them. His clenched fists shook as he gathered his thoughts.

"The slaves here are... content with the situation," he muttered, staring at the ground. "I cannot even entice their interest in standing up for their rights. They are unconcerned that they cannot vote or marry; they have no qualms that they are second-class citizens, and they rebuffed my suggestions..."

"What... what were those suggestions?"

He gritted his teeth. "That we storm the ministers and threaten restoration of all the rights; else the slaves boycott every job. Hume will fall to its knees."

"Of course they said no," came a dry voice. They stiffened. "You are very foolish to think the slaves of Hume would even consider that idiotic plan."

Standing behind them, her cerulean cloak attracting the stares of the slaves lounging all around, she stood with her hands on her hips and an unimpressed expression on her long face.

"What do you want, Ki?" Tia said as rudely as she dared. She didn't care to respect Ki, even if she had years' of talent under her belt.  Ki ignored her and spoke directly to the slave, who looked bewildered.

"If you have come here to relieve the destitute condition of slaves, Hume is the last place you want to start your rallies." Her voice dripped with disdain. "Master Mami has already done decades of improving their conditions and rights. I am surprised you did not notice that they are all very happy with enough food and water and a roof over their head every single night. No slave has starved to death in at least ten years. We do not need some ignorant brat like you trying to mess up the improvement Master Mami has spent so long achieving."

She swept her arm out; her cloak billowed.

"Look at them! They all have jobs, full bellies and medicines if they fall ill. Oh, do not get me wrong, they may still remain second-class, but that is in name only. Compared to the poverty-stricken conditions that befall even our own in other cities, these may be slaves, but they are very happy, content, fulfilled individuals. So you can take your trouble-making elsewhere, we do not need the likes of you!"

Tia was at a loss for words. She didn't like Enlil's seemingly rather violent and extreme way of restoring rights, and Ki appeared to have a point. Not that Tia would ever admit that.

Ki's dark brown eyes burned with anger and her lank hair appeared to crackle with emotions. At the sight of the boy continuing to look so shocked, her face softened.

"Your quest is not unfounded. Slaves' conditions really need to be rectified in other places, particularly in Capital. It is just that Hume is one of the best cities for slaves to be at in the whole of Dernexes." She paused as though her mind were occupied by a sudden thought. "Come with me this evening to the building just behind the city hall. I have something to show you all."