tea and reassurance

Start from the beginning

All throughout the trip to their house, I am as hectic as ever, having slipped out of the tormenting state of nothingness and into the equally as tormenting state of perpetual anxiety about things that cannot be resolved, because death is permanent, and Lucien knew this, so he opted to escape through it, and that's why I'm so desperate for Edie Parker's assistance, as I predicted what Lucien was going to do ever since he jumped into the murky depths of the void, and I thought that would soften the blow, but oh how I was wrong. Oh how I have suffered in such a short span because of the boy I thought would always be here because he felt so self important as to do so. Oh how I tumbled from that assurance. Oh how I need help more than ever.

When I arrive on the cleanly swept front porch of Jack and Edie's house, my lungs have been plundered for their oxygen, and there they sit, gasping for something to sustain it. I double over for a few moments to collect myself, and then I proceed with that feeling of uncertainty still fitted snugly to my stomach. In my state of urgency, I almost ring the doorbell, but, remembering Edie's peculiar pet peeve of that action, redirect my fist to the door and punch it multiple times like I'll be punching my pillow when the anger stage of grief finally kicks in.

Not sensing the gravity of the situation, Edie takes her time wandering towards the door, and when she opens it, it is obvious that she is completely unaware that anything could be happening, though my sole presence at her home (especially since I look so disheveled) warns her otherwise. The cardigan strung around her body is tightened by the cold of the morning, and with this action I notice that it's only around an hour and thirty minutes into the day, when people shouldn't be awake, but Edie is, and I suppose I should've considered her sleeping schedule, but I was too panicked, and she's awake anyway.

"Allen?" Edie asks, unsure that I'm really here and if a sinister robber or creation of the dark is being disguised as me through shadowy means.

Before I explain anything, I need to get out of the cold, because the news I'm about to share will chill me even more. "C-can I come inside?"

Edie pauses for a moment, her train of thought interrupted by a request she wasn't expecting, but she eventually comes to her senses and ushers me inside, saying, "Of course," as her hand hovers over my back until I plop into the couch's relaxing fabric, a comfort I crave in this time of nervousness.

"So, Allen, would you like to explain to me why you just randomly showed up at my house at one thirty in the morning?" Edie's a bit too harsh for my fragmented soul right now, but that will all change when the sympathetic side of her heart crawls out from a veneer to prevent manipulation and listens to my claim.

A sigh drips sluggishly out of my throat, delaying my speech for as long as it can, and when it is finished I am forced to speak. "I know you aren't really affiliated with him, and I don't even think you ever liked him, but you're the only one I could tell, and...and...Lucien's dead." My voice bends and snaps at the final verdict, but it's a miracle that I could even expel the words at all.

I did my best, and now Edie is doing her best to try and sort through what the hell I'm talking about, the abrupt nature of this all. "What...w-what does that mean?"

It's not that difficult to comprehend in theory, but with grief comes a distortion that settles over one's mind for the longest of times, tricking them into thinking that their loved one will be back, but every time they come home and every time they call their favorite cell phone number and every time they think about planning a trip to somewhere they've always wanted to go with a companion, no one is there for them, but at least there's some hope before the sickening drop.

I understand this phenomenon now, even if Lucien was the first person with whom I've experienced that phenomenon, so I guide Edie through it. "He was hit by a car about a half hour ago, and he's being taken to the morgue."

"Have you seen him?"

"No, and I'm still debating whether or not I want to, but that's beside the point." My foot scuttles against the intricate carpet that Edie bought at a fair and hasn't relinquished since, just as a way to occupy myself while I spew out secrets about Lucien's life and now his death. "The real point is that Lucien decided to jump in front of that car, even if I wasn't there to see it for myself. It was suicide, Edie. It was."

"Why would he do that? He seemed to happy both when we talked on the phone and when he came over for dinner."

Even Edie is astonished, which proves how much Lucien rattled everyone's world when he fucking stepped in front of a car because that's how he thought he could solve all of his problems, but you don't solve problems by erasing them completely. No matter how hard you try to pretend that something doesn't exist, there will still be tangles in it as it bobs through time and existence.

"I honestly have no idea why the cause of his depression prompted him towards this route so quickly, but what I do know is that his old friend returned, an old friend that abused him when they were both sixteen, and his arrival back into Lucien's life took a serious toll on him."

This is when Edie breaks down, her motherly instincts extending to be a mother to everyone, now especially my dead friend named Lucien Carr who deserved so much more than he was given. Tears clip fiercely at the edges of her eyes, and her hands maneuver over her mouth to trap the sobs endeavoring to flow free. "Oh God, I'm so sorry."

And we just hug it out until my best friend's death is dulled.

~~~~~

A/N: ugh the desperation whyhteufkc

nominalism: concepts are not objective and only exist as names

~Dakotalon