Chapter I Part 7 - Section 2

Glenwing stood patiently awaiting his turn. The couriers bore only two eggs; one's Rider had already been found in Sílthrim. He had been surprised that they would come to the Reliquary, even though he shouldn't have been, seeing as many elves took on apprenticeships here. A small few of those standing with him were almost finished learning their trade, and many dreamed that becoming a Rider was the next step in their journey.

Leafë was one of the few young elves who did not dream of becoming a Rider. While she would no doubt be honored and make a magnificent Rider, she preferred to remain enamored with their rich history rather than add to it. He knew that part of her preference also stemmed from being du dröttningu: the Riders strained to be impartial to all races, which meant none could be their rulers. Becoming a Rider would mean abandoning her chance at the throne, which only held importance to his princess since it was important to her father.

No! It was the princess, not his princess. "My highness" was a formal greeting used by all elves to pay homage; the usage of the possessive term was to be done solely of respect, not the complex stir of emotions the älfr himself felt. Leafë was only considered to be "his" princess based on their race.

But if he was chosen today, she would no longer be his princess even in that sense.

His stomach tightened with the thought as the line moved forward and his turn drew closer. If he was chosen by one of the dragons, then that would be the end of his time as Leafë's guardian. He would be whisked away to the island of Vroengard, where he would be trained in the secret arts of the Shur'tugalar. He would be a prvileged member of the most esteemed order throughout all of Alagaësia, the second älfr within the House Valtharos to be chosen in over two centuries following his uncle Arva. He would form the most irrevocable and intimate bond that could possibly be made with his dragon, who would be the most devoted and loyal partner that he would ever be able to have.

And, aside from the rare matters of state, Glenwing would never see Leafë again. No longer would he be able to luxuriate in her presence: to listen to her ramble on about the latest tidbit of history that she'd learned; to cave in to her demands and whistle a rare birdcall for her to guess; to watch her throughout the day as both his duty demanded and his heart desired. She would no longer be his princess, his to protect, to cherish, to love despite all better instincts. But would that not be for the best?

Another elf walked away with shoulders slumped, leaving only five more till he took his turn. If he was chosen, then he would be forced to overcome his feelings; his new duty would compel him, and the distance would only assist his efforts. Even if his heart yet remained traitorous, a Rider would never be able to be with royalty, let alone the royalty of his own race. And even now, as he was, they would never be able to be together.

His turn was next, and Glenwing was decided. He knew that a dragon's choice was based on the nature of their prospective candidate's mind as well as heart, and his mind was made up. Though his heart would be broken if he was chosen, it was better for it to break it now than for Leafë to break it later. After all, love was a burden he had never wanted to bear in the first place, not when he knew all too well the cost one paid to do so.

The couriers now stood before him, a pair of älfa-koneya who had the same golden eyes yet different shades of hair. The one with long tresses as dark as his own stood bearing a three-foot tall midnight blue egg speckled with silver like the stars during a clear night. The other elf-woman had a silver mane (which instinctively brought Leafë to mind) and carried a stark white egg about half the size of the other with a blue tint that reminded him of a frozen waterfall.

"State your name," the two women intoned as one.

He swallowed to wet his throat and responded, "Glenwing of House Valtharos."