Chapter I Part 7 - Section 1

13th Day of Iötaðr (October) in the Year 7740 A.C.

Two months had passed since Leafë had begun her apprenticeship under Ruby Shur'tugal, and today would be the day.

Carefully placing the last of the scrolls back into its nook, she swiftly climbed down the ladder. Master Ruby was a stringent adherent for her pupils to follow the traditions of the monks while living in the Reliquary, even those who did not foolishly misplace their belief in so-called "higher powers". Thus, the Rider always left her free on Tívar's Day after she'd finished all her tasks assigned the previous week. And while Leafë was considerably less considerate about many of the other traditions she was forced to adhere to, this was not one of them.

Her gleeful smile only widened when she arrived at the bottom of the stairs to find a petite brunette fumbling with a stack of books nearly as tall as she was. "Kvetha, Mora!"

"Ah!" The girl started at the greeting and struggled to keep from tipping over. "Oh, h-hello, my highness."

"How many times have I told you not to call me that?" Leafë grumbled as she deftly grabbed the top half of the stack.

The top of Mora's freckled face came into view, amber eyes crinkled in a smile. She was one of the younger elves who had sought out an apprenticeship and been selected. The princess's own situation was unique in that, as the heiress presumptive to the throne, there had been no plans for her to become an apprentice to any other trade. Usually children became apprentices at the age of ten rather than her own four-and-ten.

"Thank you, and forgive me for simply being too respectful."

Leafë let out a long-suffering sigh that was belied by her upturned lips. "Fine then. Where are you heading? I thought we always had today off."

"Pilyra-elda asked me to deliver these to the Rider, as a favor."

"I suppose it's pointless to remind you that Master Ruby said you needn't address her as Shur'tugal all the time?"

"I would have to respectfully agree, my highness."

The two laughed at the joke as they continued walking through the stone hallways. It was a short walk to Ruby Huginelditaka's chambers, as they were located on the side of the mountain to make room for her dragon's comings and goings. Reaching the ornate doors, they struggled with finding a way to knock until a familiar mind touched theirs and said, You may enter.

"Greetings, Nuanenskular," both girls intoned before Mora explained, "We have the books from Pilyra-elda that your Shur'tugal asked for."

One large violet wing rustled to reveal an eye which glittered like an amethyst as it examined their piles. Ruby is out greeting the couriers. You may set them beside the bed and she will sort through them later.

Mora nodded and set about the task, but Leafë hesitated. "Excuse me, Master, but what couriers are Ruby-ebrithil meeting?"

The egg couriers. They have come to present this year's selection to all elves of age.

"Oh!" Mora straightened up and flashed her a smile. "Hasn't your guard just turned of age?"

Her stack of books spilled out from her numb fingers. Distantly, she heard the älfa and knew that the skulblaka was scolding her, but all she could focus on was the fact that today was the day. The day of Glen's twentieth birthday. The day she was going to confess the true expanse of her feelings for him. The day she was going to present him with the gift of her heart and hope that he excepted it.

The day he would undoubtedly become a Rider.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: I'm back y'all! And of course my grand return has to start with a cliffhanger and half a chapter, lol. The next half is Glenwing's POV, where we'll see a few familiar faces. Poor Leafë—what will she do if he's chosen? She seems pretty sure, and really, what dragon wouldn't chose our wonderful leading gentle-elf? Thanks for being so patient with the wait (deets on my profile). I'm trying to get back on a schedule, so hopefully the next half of this chapter will be complete by this coming Thursday. Stay tuned until then! :)