I walked to him, hugging him from behind, "Thank you."

I kissed his shoulder since it was the only thing I could reach at the moment. He wasn't making an effort to bend the slightest bit so I could reach his face.

"I'll pack your overnight bag, okay? You just relax and take some meds for that killer headache I know you have." I pulled the bottle of Advil from the cabinet and placed two on the counter.

"Ovanight bag?"

"Mhm, we got a flight to catch."

"Flight? Whea you takin' a nigga?" I left the bathroom ignoring his questions. He'd find out when we got the tickets.

*

"I can't buhlee you got my ass ta Nola." August sighed in the passenger seat.

His dark shades sat over his eyes as he was reclined back in the seat. His long legs stretched out as fas as they could go, sporting those infamous grey sweats. 👅💦

"I can't either," I mumbled. "I got us a hotel, close to your Maw Maw's place just in case you wanna visit. Didn't know if you wanted to stay there or..."

I looked over and he was knocked out again. Shaking my head, I continued the drive to our first stop.

"Aug, wake up." I tapped his shoulder, "August."

"What?"

"We're here," I undid my seatbelt as he let his seat up.

"You brought me outchea ta see Mel?" He looked around at the tombstones lining the rows of deceased people.

"You seemed lost, so while you were sleep I managed to get you out here so Mel can help you find your way back."

"I appreciate that, it means a lot. Startin' ta think you actually care about a nigga." He spoke again once we were outside the car.

"Aug really?" I rolled my eyes playfully.

The New Orleans air was hot and sticky. I was glad I changed on the plane because I don't think I would've survived in those leggings.

"What? You be mean as hell sometimes." He defended. "I be feelin' like you'on wanna fuck wit me sometimes."

"August! I'm not mean." I hit his arm. Although that was partially true, I denied it.

He got on my nerves on a day-to-day basis. Sometimes, I wouldn't mind dropping his ass off in the middle of nowhere and possibly coming back to get him later on. Possibly.

He stopped walking, "Mel said stop beating up his baby bro."

"I don't give a damn what Mel says, I'll hit you, beat you if I have to."

He laughed lightly to himself, "What's so funny?" I asked.

"Uhm, nothin'. Mel just thank you a trip and then sum." He stopped in front of his brothers grave.

"Well tell him thank you, I have to be to get you in line."

I smiled at his connection with Mel, how it was strong and how he felt comfortable enough to talk to him as if I could see and hear him too.