4 || Scarlet Letter

"Wanting revenge is like drinking poison
and expecting the other person to die:
you're only hurting yourself."
- Unknown

" - Unknown

______

[Desirae]

THE DOORS OPENED, revealing a very high tech lair. Of course, my view of it was upside down because I was lying upside down on the dirty flooring of the elevator which so rudely cut me off mid-sentence.

Ray walked forward, putting his foot in the doorway so that I didn't get shut in. I scrambled onto my knees, trying to stand up, but instead fell forward, face-planting into the flooring of the lair.

So much for my bad-girl attitude.

"Look, Des-"

"Don't look at me." I hissed as I stood up, brushing myself off to get a better look at the place. It could be confused as an extremely high tech lounge area, but I could sense that it was his lair.

"By the way, what's your superhero name?" I asked him, running my hand along a couch.

He looked over at me in shock. "Captain Man! Only the most well-known superhero in the universe, might I add." He practically shrieked, reminding me a of a girl who just broke her nail.

"New to this town, remember?" I asked him. He nodded.

"Oh, I also have a sidekick. Kid Danger. He's around your age, maybe a year older." I nodded, pretending that I was interested. No, I'm not interested in a wanna-be version of Captain Man, who I have never even known about until today.

"Uh-huh, that's nice," I said, quickly turning on my heel to face him, "let's cut to the chase. I want in."

"In?" He asked in a shrill voice, pretending he didn't know what I meant.

"In. I want to be your new sidekick."

It was true. I was pretty interested in all of this, and it was about time that I started practicing my self defense skills. Might as well use them for something. "B-but, Des, you're technically my niece, I don't think that my sister would appreciate me-"

"She doesn't have to know. Kid Danger's parents don't know about him being a superhero do they?" I asked. He shook his head no.

"But you don't know how much it takes. You have to have been through martial arts, gymnastics, karate-"

"Gymnastics. Two years, three weeks, four days. Karate. Black belt, five years, six weeks, four days-"

"Okay," Ray cried in defeat, "okay. I get it, you already have what it takes."

"And you kind of have to," I said, swinging my phone in front of my face, "and wouldn't it be kind of... Oh, I don't know... Irresponsible to let a 15 year old girl loose with such precious information like this?"