3 || Adult in Spandex

"Sometimes all it takes to hide a broken heart
is a beautiful smile."
- Robin Williams

" - Robin Williams

______

[Desirae]

               AFTER SCHOOL, Charlotte and Henry walked me to the Hart's house. It was slightly less fancy than Ms. Landfills, but I enjoyed it there.

They wanted to get to know me, so they asked me multiple questions and I asked them the same and it just went on like that until we ran out of questions to ask. They're really cool...

I'm sorry, it just feels weird having friends so quickly after what happened... Whatever, I shouldn't be wallowing about it. Anyways, I had to head home early, due to Ms. Landfills needing me to stop by this place called Junk N' Stuff.

What kind of store is named Junk N' Stuff? I mean seriously, is it a truck stop or something? She needed me to buy some sort of antique thing for her. I don't know what she plans to do with it, and why it couldn't wait because I was having a great time. I don't even want to know what she does all day while I'm at school and in bed or in my room doing homework. Seriously, I know I've only known her for a couple of weeks, but that woman scares me sometimes.

For some reason, it had started getting really moist and dark outside, which I hadn't thought was natural for Swellview. Shrugging it off, I pulled out my phone to use as a light source to make sure I didn't fall into a sewer or something.

As I was walking, my eyes drifting over the shops, I heard something.

It sounded off, echoing through the emptied streets, making me jump at the sudden moment.

Freezing in my spot, I surveyed my surroundings. Nothing was moving except for a couple of shadows that caught my eye behind a dumpster. Shivering, I began creeping towards it, running across the street, not that it mattered, no cars were around.

Out of curiously, and some stupidity, I moved forward, turning off my phone, and ran closer to where the noise came from. Pressing myself against the damp wall or a strip mall, another sound came, this time sounding like someone just got punched in the face.

I heard someone rasp an inaudible sentence, probably the guy who got punched.

Running closer, I wedged myself in between the small space in the middle of the wet strip mall and the dumpster, covering myself in shadows. This is probably the scariest thing I've ever done.

I knew I should just turn around and run to the Junk N' Stuff store, but for some reason I felt the need to stay.

There was another punch and a guy suddenly fell down, inches away from me. I gasped, but quickly covered my mouth before anyone heard it. He was wearing all black, with a sock wrapped around his face. If I didn't know any better, I would say he's a robber.