Chapter Ten

It was fall and Alison was walking Estella to her first day of school. It was also her first day of school – her interview with Griffin Hill Academy had gone very well and she was the new English Lit teacher at the prestigious private school.

"Mommy, your hands are all sweaty," Estella complained, jerking her hand out of her mother's and wiping it on her jacket with a grimace.

"Sorry, baby," Alison chuckled. "I guess I'm just nervous."

"It's just school, Mom," Estella stated, raising her eyebrows.

Alison looked down at her daughter, taking a moment to truly appreciate how alike they were. At least she'd know what to expect when Estella hit her teens. Major rebellion.

"I've never taught before, though," Alison admitted, threading her fingers together.

She and Estella had a complete open door policy. No matter what was going on, they talked about it. Alison had a similar relationship with her mother and she cherished how close they'd become as a result.

"You'll do great, Mama," Estella said confidently, her smile washing away Alison's nerves. She loved how her daughter called her Mama when she wanted to show affection. Normally it was Mommy or Mom when she was trying to act older than her six years.

"You think?" Alison asked.

"Of course," Estella replied firmly. "You love reading and you enjoy teaching. Plus, you've taught me lots."

Alison chuckled. "I think that's in my job description, baby girl. But thank you. Your support means the world to me."

Alison knelt down and hugged Estella tightly. When she moved to release her, Estella held on a little tighter and Alison smiled.

"I guess you can be my little girl for the next few blocks," Alison teased, picking her daughter up.

Estella just smiled and rested her head on Alison's shoulder. They continued their walk through the crisp New York fall morning, Alison's arms securely wrapped around her daughter.

-

Emily squinted at the light infiltrating the room and she pulled the pillow over her head, groaning.

"Some of us need to work today, Em," Maya said matter-of-factly. "Come on, Jerry's expecting you at the studio in an hour."

"I'm still sick," Emily mumbled.

"Oh, really? Not sick enough to nail me three times last night."

Emily smirked to herself from underneath the pillow. That had been quite hot. Maya had just come back from her session at her own studio and Emily couldn't resist.

"Come on, get your lazy ass up," Maya said, slapping said behind and eliciting a squeal from Emily.

The brunette dancer sighed dramatically and pushed back the sheets of her bed, getting up and walking to bathroom buck-naked. She smirked when the bathroom door opened and closed behind her and Maya assaulted her mouth. Nothing like a pick me up in the morning.

-

Alison looked around her classroom and smiled. This wasn't quite the feeling she'd been expecting; she'd been so worried that she would feel completely out of her depth and like an alien. But here she was, standing in the room and she felt at peace, like she belonged there.

The faculty had been incredibly welcoming and friendly. Principal DeCosta had taken her on a tour of the vast grounds of the school – seriously, how did these people find this kind of property in New York? Everything and everyone was rapidly torpedoing her judgement of private schools and their snobbery.