Chapter 2

I woke up at around nine with an incessant pounding in my head; it was as if there was another entity sharing my brain space with me, fighting me into submission.

I gathered all my strength and focused it on standing, I succeeded but only after losing my bearing and stumbling a little .

I walked into my bathroom adjacent to my room to wash my face but when I looked up at my eyes I was completely taken aback by my eyes which had been hazel that was now a captivating gold. It was as if my brown irises had found its own light source.

"What the-?" I rose my had to poke it, resulting in my eyes watering. Dumb move on my part, I know. Okay I was convinced something was wrong with me, terribly wrong.

How am I meant to hide this from every one and why in world is my head hurting like this? I stared at my eyes in the mirror a few moments longer as if that would give me the answer? It didn't.

Things keep on getting weirder and weirder and I don't think I am going to like the answer. It's a just a gut feeling really.

"Av, are you coming down for breakfast?" my mother shouts. Crap! Crap! Crap!

"Uh, mom i will be down in a second!" I shout. I have no clue what to do I throw on a hoodie I found in the chair beside the bed and walk down the stairs keeping my head down.

I look over to see my mother leaning on the island nursing a cup of coffee. She looks over at me; I can tell she is going to ask why I have a hoodie on.

"Um, honey did you get the seasons mixed up? You do know it's the middle of summer right" oh would you look at that, never disappointed.

Great going genius what do you plan to say now?
"No mom, see I think I might have come down with something and I was feeling a little chilly so I put this hoodie on." Lies but technically the feeling in my head makes me feel as if something has come down on me.

"Oh honey come closer let me check, oh wow you seem to be running a fever." My mother gushes as she feels my neck. I bring my hands to my forehead and what do you know I am running a fever.

"Want me to put some soup on?" she asks
"No mom I will be fine, my hands work just fine, see, hey aren't you going to be late?" I ask quickly.
"But what's wrong with your eyes?" oh and here is the million dollar question. What do I tell her? I don't even know why they are like that.

"Oh that?" I ask sheepishly. "I bought eye contacts that embellish the eye colors making them appear to be glowing. So my normal hazel eyes are now glowing gold, he-he"

please buy it, please buy it, please buy it.

"Oh, you kids these days. Well honey I got to get to work. Be on your best behavior, I love you and I will see you later." She punctuates her sentence with a kiss to my forehead.

Before I know it I hear her car rolling out the drive way.

Okay with my mom is gone maybe I can brain storm what the hell is happening to me.

I said I would figure out what was wrong and I still haven't come close. I was even leaning towards being a vampire, but sadly I am still walking at snail pace. And wouldn't my eyes be red if I were? Lastly I was not craving blood.

I was knocked out of my world of mythical theories as to why I looked like a life size glow in the dark sticker when my phone rang.
"Office of endangered unicorn protection service how may I help you?" I answered the phone grinning like an idiot.
"Shut up you dork, what's a girl gotta do to get an I miss you call?" she whined melodramatically. I rolled my eyes.
"I don't know, grovel a little more?" I said nonchalantly
"Aw, come Av don't be like that, I am sorry" she whined once again.
"Sorry? Sorry does not make up for your best friend to just up and leave without telling you she was," I said.

I was still upset that she did that. I am not saying I need to know absolutely everything she does and will do, but it's just that we tell each other everything and I was just hoping she deemed me worthy enough to know that she was going to leave. She just left a few weeks before school gave out for summer it has been almost two months since I have heard from her.

I had went to her house five days after she just disappeared and asked her mother where she was , but I got a very weird answer saying she had something to do out of this realm, she then hugged me and corrected herself saying that she had something very important to do. Weird I know.

What could Danielle possibly have to do that was more important than finishing junior year? I just let it go; it was obvious I wasn't supposed to know if she and her mother didn't find it necessary to tell me.

"I am sorry, I truly am but some stuff came up that I had to take care of." She said
"Stuff like what?"
""I can't tell you." At this I laughed incredulously.
"You can't tell me,' I laughed again 'why did you call Danielle?" I asked.
"Uh, I first I wanted you to open your door." She said sheepishly.
"What why?"
"Just go already, will you?" I got up and marched over to the door what was so important about opening the door. I finally opened it.
"Hi." I stood frozen at the door.
"Hi yourself, come inside." I stepped aside to allow her entry.

"Wanna tell me what the point of that phone call was if you were on the other side of my door?"

"I wanted to be sure you wouldn't shut the door in my face."
"Well I didn't, lucky you." I said.

"Why are you here?" I finally allowed myself to look at her. Her head was down where I could see her dark brown hair was rolled in a neat bun on top of her head and she wore dark blue jeans and a white blouse. She looked exactly like she did before she left no glowing eyes. And here I thought it was a teenage plague. It was as if by thinking I summoned her eyes to scan mine.

"Oh!" she said looking less taken aback than I was this morning; I knew she had seen my eyes. Of course she wouldn't react like my mom,she thought they were contacts.

She took a step back and put an odd looking device to her ear something that I now realized was a communication device on some sort. As if nothing could possibly get weirder, she looked up at me then said

"It has already started."
±+++++±++++++++++±+++++++++±

Picture of Danielle