Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

"ASHMIRA! COME MAKE BREAKFAST," shouted Yara. "I'm hungry!"

I woke up, startled out of dream.

Sitting up in bed, I rubbed my eyes. Did that really happen last night? I asked myself. Surely it was a dream.

"ASHMIRA NOW!" yelled Rima.

I slipped on a pair of yoga pants and a t-shirt. Even their cruel taunts couldn't upset me today. I had the most amazing night of my life last night and nothing could wreck my good mood.

As I emerged from the basement and made my way to the pantry, I heard Rima whine, "He danced with her all night long! It's not fair! I didn't even get a chance!"

Yara let out an audible sigh. "Where did she find that dress? Why didn't I have that dress and those Louboutins?"

"Her parents must be so rich," said Rima with envy in her voice. "I hate her!"

"Me too," agreed Yara.

"Now girls, the rumor is that she ran out and didn't even tell him her name," said Aunt Fatima.

"But he has her shoe," said Rima. "He's bound to find her that way. I have never seen those in any store or online!"

"Be patient, my darlings," soothed Aunt Fatima. "It will all work out."

***

"Did you hear?" squealed Yara.

"YES!" shrieked Rima. "The Ambassador's son is coming to every house in the city looking for the girl he danced with last night!"

The air whooshed out of my lungs. He's going to come here? What am I going to do? Should I admit I was the one he danced with all last night?

"I heard he's bringing the shoe she left behind with him," said Aunt Fatima. "You know what this means, right?"

"WE NEED TO GO SHOPPING!" Rima and Yara shouted.

"Exactly," agreed Aunt Fatima. "We need to find the closest match to that shoe possible!"

My aunt and cousins gathered their belongings and were out the door before I even had breakfast on the table.

I had a huge decision to make. Either stay quite and probably never see the Ambassador's son again or admit I was his dancing partner last night and risk getting kicked out of Aunt Fatima's house.

***

Several hours later, Aunt Fatima and the girls burst through the door with their arms full of shopping bags. "Quickly girls, quickly!"

They threw opened the boxes and lined all of the right shoes up on the living room floor.

"One of these is going to match!" declared Yara.

"No," argued Rima. They are close, but not a perfect match.

"He's a guy, they don't look at details," said Yara.

Aunt Fatima stepped in between the girls before the hair pulling began. "Girls! Quickly, up to your rooms and put on your best dress!"

"The ball gowns we wore last night?" asked Rima with a confused look on her face.

Aunt Fatima shook her head. "Put on the backup dresses. We don't want him associating you with what you wore last night. Then he'll know you aren't the girl he danced with for hours."

"Amira, go help them get dressed and when you're done, go downstairs. I don't want you to embarrass us when the Ambassador's son arrives.

"Yes, Aunt Fatima," I said quietly.