The Crash

A/N -- I'm finally back!!! College is almost finished for the year, so I'm finally able to come back on! I hope you enjoy this one, because I'm emotionally drained. All because one song came on today, and made me think of this great storyline. So here you are. (Song below)

You don't tend to think about it that much... you know - death. When you're my age, you don't think it will come near you any time soon, much less your girlfriend who's ten years younger than you. But there I was.

I was driving, taking Macy to her studio. I told her not to drive because she still had a hangover. It wasn't a bad one, but enough that she was still over the limit. We were joking about the bags under her eyes that no matter how much makeup she put on, they were still glaring through. She wanted to put some sunglasses on, but I told her that she would look like more of an idiot wearing sunglasses in the pouring rain. She turned the radio up and began singing along. Even when she tried to sing badly she still sounded perfect. She was doing wild actions and messing around, I kept laughing at her and telling her to stop it. She was always so bubbly.

Then... all I remember was the crash, and the crunching metal, and the smashing of glass. I heard her scream... it's still repeating in my head. She screamed my name. Then, it was all quiet. I don't know how long I was out for. Everything just... went for a while.

The next thing, there's something cutting, and someone behind me, holding my head. I mumbled something, so nonsensical that I don't even know what I was trying to say.

'It's okay,' the person behind me said. 'They're just getting you both out.'

I closed my eyes again, while the car filled with noise.

The cutting stopped again. 'Macy?' I asked.

No one replied and the cutting started again. The next thing I knew, the roof was off the car. That was when it hit me. It was bad. Whatever had happened, it was bad. I tried to look across at Macy, but I couldn't see her, and the person holding my head wouldn't let me move it.

There was talking at the side of me, and movement. They were saying all sorts of things that I had no idea what they meant. They were talking about Macy. But Macy wasn't talking.

'What's happening?' I asked, as a paramedic came in front of me.

'We're just trying to get you both safe.' She replied. 'Could you tell me your name?' She asked.

'Ricky—' I began, but then corrected myself. 'Charles Wilson.' I said, giving my christian name. It felt wrong saying that one. I was Ricky, not Charles. Nobody called me Charles.

'Could you tell me the other woman's name?' She asked.

'Macy Lovelace.' I replied. I remember her saying it. 'Lovelace like Ada. Gotta say, sorry to let you down, but I'm not as smart as her.' She had laughed. That was the pickup line she had used. Not much of one, granted, but it pulled me in. It had been a drunk night out, a few weeks after Glastonbury. I was in a pub with all of the guys, and we started chatting at the bar.

The paramedic was shining a light in my eyes, and asking me a stack of questions.

'How's Macy?' I interrupted. I needed to see her.

'Let's get that sorted in a minute. It's you we'll be worrying about for now.' She said, and then another paramedic came up to me and put a neck brace on me. The one who was sat behind me finally let go of my head. Then I was being picked up, and strapped to a board. People were talking all around me, and I was suddenly lifted to a stretcher. Needles were going into my arms, more and more questions asked. Sirens began going, and another ambulance drove off. It was Macy.