47: THE CAT & LOW SHOW

[ Third Person POV ]

When their bus stopped, they got off in order. Rage headed off in one direction, glancing over his shoulder only once. It was just long enough to see that Gunner was following him from an inconspicuous distance ... but Cat and Low were going a different direction. He read the situation with a glance, understood what was happening, and didn't miss a beat. Just kept on walking, with Gunner trailing a few people behind in the crowd.

Rage hadn't a clue what Cat and Low were planning, but he didn't doubt their abilities, either.

Cat and Low moved with purpose. They stayed in step with each other the whole time, and at some point, Cat leaned into Low and slung an arm around her shoulders, making a show of leaning down and pressing his lips to her temple, before whispering, "Targets at five and nine."

Low's only response was to blow a bubble and pop it.

The two continued walking, entering the building through the sliding doors and veering off toward a souvenir shop that was at one end of the building, a good distance from the ticket lines. Once inside the shop, they meandered about aimlessly, looking over t-shirts and candies ...

There were five men following them. If either had to guess, they would've presumed the Kinetic would anticipate they'd head to the airport, and had had agents waiting. That meant there were likely other agents trailing Rage and Gunner, but when Low had been clocking people — she'd noticed the agents long before Catatonic had confirmed them — she'd only sighted two following their companions.

Which meant more agents were likely spread out inside the airport.

Low did not consider that to be a problem.

A strong hand latching onto Catatonic's shoulder and pried him off of Low, which was all it took to set the two into motion.

Cat responded to the harsh gesture with a quick turn and one short, practiced jab to the trachea, before he snatched the man's own gun off of him and aimed it at two of his friends who had followed immediately behind. In the meantime another two men had gone for Low, but no sooner had their gloved hands brushed her upper arm than did she whirl a high-kick into one's chest, using her momentum to latch onto the other and bring him down to his knees with her thighs wrapped around his shoulders.

At the same time she had grabbed one of their guns at well, and now aimed it carefully at the one who was most conscious — and on his knees.

This all happened in a matter of seven seconds.

"You first, Cat," Low said, snapping her gum. Dark brown eyes that once appeared guarded were now glaring at the man before her.

"If you insist," Cat smirked.

Neither were concerned about passers by or airport security. This was an ordeal that had happened in a matter of seconds, and it would be finished just as quickly. Not in death, though — something different ... more LASAR.

"How many Kinetic agents are at this airport?" Cat asked, making sure to enunciate each word with the utmost of care. His eyes were sharp and saw through the man's tough-guy façade in an instant. All it took was pressing the gun to his head for him to flinch.

The man somehow found it in him to glare up at Catatonic. "I don't know."

"You're lying," Low retorted.

Cat's smile took on a feral edge. His ability didn't require anything physical, didn't even require any gestures; all he had to do was focus. And while he could've been subtler, or even kinder, he had come to the end of his rope and chose to cause pain.