s i x

Nathan's POV

A banging sound woke me up early in the morning.

I felt the book beside me, realizing I fell asleep whilst reading.

Looking at the digital clock on the bedside table reading it's just 5:30 in the morning.

Why my father's working so early? Planting my feet on the soft carpeted-floor, I made my way to the bathroom and had a warm shower before I start my day.

Once I'm downstairs, I pushed the door open to the backyard.

Sticking my head out to see my father carving.

The cold breeze hit me in the face like a slap making me more awake than I was.

I went to retrieve my jacket hanging on the coat rack beside the front door.

Stuffing my arms through it and went to my father outside behind our house.

My father heard me opened the back door.

"Sorry for waking you up this early.", he stopped from what he's doing and looked at me.

Shutting the door closed behind me, I replied.

"Why are you working so early in the morning?", ignoring his apology, not that I'm mad or something.

"Remember Miss Jean?", he continued to hammer here and there, and carved.

Nodding. "Well, she came here yesterday.", he added. I remember bumping onto her when I'm going to the library.

"Okay...", signaling him to go on.

"She ordered more of my works, and her niece is moving in with her. Her niece likes art so she thought maybe she'll like sculpture as a gift."

"Mmm.", Understanding him.

"Do you need any help?", I offered him.

"I can do this. Thank you."

"Okay, I should make breakfast now before Grandma wakes up."

I opened the back door and cooked breakfast for today.

But before I started I took off my jacket first and hangs it on the back of the chair.

Frying three eggs and toast some bread. I also cooked bacons and sliced some apples and bananas for a healthy breakfast.

The smell of the bacons wrapped around the house, making it more welcoming and cozy.

I heard Grandma got outside her room and went straight forward here in the kitchen. Perfect timing.

"Good Morning, Grandma."

"Good Morning, darling. That smells delicious."

Smiling like a Cheshire Cat, I grabbed some utensils and set the table for three.

Pulling a chair for my Grandma to sit. Serving her her breakfast and calling my Dad to eat first because breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

He laughed as he shook his head because what I said, he stood up and went inside to have breakfast.

We ate peacefully, and shared some good laughs together.

I bugged my Dad every minute that I want to help with his work because I don't have anything to do. It's Saturday and I already worked my assignments and few projects.

Finally, he agreed.

We worked together. I just did the light works and Dad did the carving since I don't know how to. I'm not really into art, I am more into poetry.

Early morning turned to lunch. Me and my father took a break and had lunch with my Grandma.

Grandma cooked for us. She cooked her specialty.

After we ate lunch, we got back to carving.

Grandma sat on her favorite rocking chair in our front porch while petting Harold and sewing, just like grandmothers in the movies.

I think back to Miss Jeanine. She don't have kids nor a husband. She's been living with herself since she moved here. I don't really know the real story. Maybe, she's divorced, or maybe she's a widow.

She's a very kind woman. Ms. Jeanine spent her life serving this town as a leader, as our mayor.

The chilly air blows, seeped inside our bones but that's not stop us from working. Late lunch turned to night.

Carving here, lifting huge block of woods there, painting here and there.

Finally, we finished.

We carved three big sculptures today. And six mini sculptures.

After we had dinner, I decided to go to bed early because I am too exhausted.

•••

Lou's POV

"Oh, come on!" Jacob whined over the phone.

"Sorry, I can't." I tried to apologize.

"We will graduate for two months from now. And probably I won't see you again like this often. So, please?", he's playing the guilt card, ugh.

"I hate you."

"I know you love me. See you in a minute!", I can hear shuffling at the other end.

"But I didn't—"

He ended the call, not giving me a chance to finish what I'm saying.

Tossing the phone to my bed. And went to the bathroom to get ready.

I'm only on my sweat pants and an oversized shirt and a jacket. I made my hair on a bun.

I heard the car honks and rushed downstairs.

"Hey, bro.", I called my brother when I reached the living room.

"I know."

"He told me about it. And he apologized. He's waiting outside." He added.

"Thanks, bro."

I hugged him tight and walked to the wooden double door and went outside.

The cold air hits me hard. I hugged my jacket on me tightly.

I hurriedly walked inside Jacob's car. Thankfully, the heater is on.

Jacob invited me to a sleep over, so we could 'spend more time together' that's what he said.

I know that he's a boy and I'm a girl but for us, we were like sister and brother. Him being half gay and me being half lesbo.

Sometimes I wonder if he is gay, I don't care if he is. I will wholeheartedly accept him. But there's still things you can say he isn't, like being a playboy and a chick magnet he is.

We arrived to his house in a few minutes, even his house is five blocks away from ours.

Just him, being a reckless driver. And we enjoyed every minute of it.

Our saying together:

"What's wrong with living dangerously?"

✘✘✘

Sorry for a very short chapter, I got out of ideas for this, that's why. But I promise to do better.

And be patient, they will meet very soon. ;) xx

All the love, J.