Chapter 1

I’ve read all the stories. I know all the myths and legends but I never expected to become one. My name is Charlie Johnson. I’m fifteen and up until recently, I had lived my whole life in a small town situated conveniently near a gorgeous National Park, which was known for its huge strands of gum trees and nasty bush fires.

I say recently because apparently I have been missing for about two years! No one knows where I’ve been or what I’ve been doing. It’s all news to me let me tell you!

I clearly remember last night, it had been a balmy summers night, I had just finished my homework watched some soaps and went to bed. Nothing at all strange there, right? Then when I woke up in the morning it was the middle of winter a couple of years later.

So I woke up thinking it was a bit chilly for February but didn’t think anything of it. However, when I walked downstairs for breakfast, and my Mum was sitting at the kitchen counter, we both completely flipped out! She was so amazed to see me that she screamed and almost fainted.

I was so amazed to see her that I scowled at her. I couldn’t figure out what was wrong at first, at least for her. I thought she’d just seen the biggest spider ever or something.

Then Dad rushed downstairs and into the kitchen. He saw me and he swore real loud. That sure surprised me! My Dad has never swore - ever- or at least in my presence.

“Charlie!” He exclaimed, he ran over and hugged me almost like he hadn’t seen me forever, which only confused me more.

“Uh yes, who else would it be?” I asked muffled by Dad’s hug. I was still glaring at Mum, who had tears in her eyes. By now though, I was slightly confused by the whole situation.

Then I suppose, I sort of came out of a sleep-induced haze and realised that things didn’t look quite right. Or at least the same as last night, before I went to bed. The calendar on the kitchen wall was showing a different month, it’s good I didn’t see the date or I may have freaked out. In fact, the whole kitchen was a different colour, and there was a strange looking phone on the wall. Weird!

Then I took a good look at Dad, he was a lot greyer than yesterday. His face looked more worn and sad. He also seemed ultra, border line unhealthy thin. I wondered why he looked sad, which made me look over to my mother with an angry glare, it was probably her fault. I hadn’t seen my mother for over a year, but still she looked a lot older than what I thought she should. I was way confused. What the hell was going on?

By the time Mum and Dad finally got their equilibrium back and stopped looking at me like I was some sort of ghost, we had not only burnt all the food we were all running late. I slumped in my chair, thoroughly puzzled by my morning but I just had to ask:

“So why the big shock?” They both gave me the weirdest and saddest look I’ve ever seen.

“And Mum?” She looked watery eyed at me, “What the heck? You left us remember.” I stated bluntly.

“People can change their minds.” She mumbled as she clutched Dad’s hand

“Do you know what day it is?” Dad asked quietly, before I could mull over what Mum said.

“Duh of course I do. That’s such a dumb question, it’s Feb 10 2003. I just started back to school last week.” Dad gave me another of those weird looks

“Okay.” He said slowly, like he was working on a hard math problem. “That was the day you were due back from your grandparents.” He muttered to himself

“Yeah you forced me to stay there remember. Grandma got sick, so you said to stay there and help her out. Izzie emailed all my homework to me. This was only two weeks ago.” I looked at him like he was mentally unstable “And its Wednesday. Middle of the week, only a few more days until two days free of learning.”