Chapter Two: Gathering Information

"Ah, look at this! Our boy's a track sta'!"

Carisi holds up a copy of an old newspaper bearing the title "Home-Town Cross-Country Boy Places First for Fourth Consecutive Time" across the top.

"Oh, great," Rollins groans, looking up from her computer. "You know they're going to try and spin that into something."

"How can they?" Carisi asks. "Yeah, he ran track, but he also raped a girl. John Wayne Gacy was also a clown; that didn't change the fact that he raped and murdered a bunch a' little boys. I mean, it did make it so much more creepy to a lot of people, but to those who like clowns, it didn't change what he did."

Rollins cocks an eyebrow. "Are you scared of clowns, Carisi?"

Carisi huffs. "What? No! A' course not! Who'd be afraid of clowns? Certainly not me!"

"Carisi."

"Yeah, okay, I'm terrified of them. Who is that happy all the time?"

"You. You are that happy all the time."

Carisi narrows his eyes. "Well, yeah, but they're just creepy, a'right? Can we get back to the case?"

"I am definitely remembering that little fact about you, Carisi!" Rollins laughs, turning back to her computer and scanning the archives for any dirt they can dig up on Brandon Taylor. She reads through articles from the Golden Hills High School newspaper and rolls her eyes. Brandon was selected as Golden Hills' standout student his senior year of high school.

"Awesome," she mutters.

"So, what do we have on this guy?" Benson asks, strolling into the bullpen.

"On paper, he looks like a freakin' boy scout," Carisi says. He grabs his laptop and shows it to Benson. "He's great at track."

Benson pinches the bridge of her nose. "Wonderful. The defense will definitely try and use that."

"Hey, Lieutenant, you don't think this guy's gonna' get away with it, do you?" Rollins asks.

"Barba thinks he'll get him so I think we'll get him," Benson nods. "Hey, Rollins and Carisi, will you go talk to Sam's sister? We need to figure out who this boy was that Sam was talking to at the party. If we find out who he is, we can get a timeline of Sam's drinking and when she passed out."

"Yes, ma'am," Carisi salutes, grabbing his coat. Rollins follows suit and exits the squad room.

Finn walks into the room and passes the two detectives. "Hey, guys-aaaand they're gone."

"Hey, Finn, watcha' got?" Benson asks. "Find anything out from Brandon's coach?"

"All I found out is that everyone thought that this Brandon kid was a saint and 'wouldn't hurt a fly'!" Finn uses air quotations around the last phrase of his sentence. "Their words. Sounds like a real winner."

"Great," Benson mutters. "I'm going to see if the lab got any DNA from the rape kit. You..."

Finn sits at his desk, Chinese take-out box in hand. He grins sheepishly.

"...Enjoy your orange chicken."

************************************

"Hey, Ashley. Have a few minutes to talk with us?"

Ashley Rourke steps aside and invites the detectives inside. She shows them into her living room and they sit down on the comfortable couch there.

"Now, Ashley, do you remember the boy that Samantha was talking to at the party?" Rollins questions.