Prologue

Tris boarded the airplane to France, angry with her mother and father. Just because her mother was the President of the United States didn't mean she needed to be under 24/7 security. All Tris wanted to do was go to a concert with the French President's daughter and her long-time friend Christina.

"Mom. All I want is a little freedom," Tris said once the plane took off. "You understand, right, Dad?"

The First Man shrugged. "You attract a lot of attention out there, hon. Being as gorgeous as you are, too. There a lot of creepy people out there. You know that."

Tris sighed and rolled her eyes. She was used to not getting what she wanted; her parents raised her to appreciate the things she had. And she did. But not the bodyguards. She understood why they'd want to overprotective, but she's a legal adult at eighteen years old, and she knew how to defend herself.

"I understand," she said. "I do. But Christina really wants me to come to this concert. What if you only sent one bodyguard?"

Tris's mother sighed. "Honey..."

"What about Bud? He's one of the best!"

"Two," Natalie said. "Bud and Tori."

"Seriously?" Tris said with excitement. "Promise?"

"Never ask a president to promise something," her father said.

"I'm not asking the president. I'm asking my mom," Tris said.

Her mother nervously looked at Andrew. "Promise," she breathed.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love you, Mom!"

Tris pulled out her phone and started to text Christina. Tris was ecstatic. This would be the least protected she'd ever been. Her mom was in the office since she was twelve, and she had two more years left in her second term.

"Oh, come on," Caleb said. "What about me? Robert will be there. He would want to go too."

Robert Black was the son of Prime Minister Black from England. He and Caleb were close friends.

"Fine. Fine. You four better not get into any trouble, you hear me?" Tris's mom said.

"Yes, Mom," Caleb said. He was the same age as Tris, them being twins.

And the rest of the way there, Tris fantasizes over what it will be like tonight. They say America is free. Everyone is free there.

Not when you live in the White House.

Caleb understood above anyone else. They were always close, they hardly ever argued, and he just wanted to be free, like Tris. They understood each other, which brought them together. All Tris could think about was getting out of all the politics and actually getting to be a normal teenager for once. Well, with the exception of Bud and Tori, who she actually liked.

But Tris was finally free, and she wasn't even in America.