Chapter One: Interviews

"Hi, there, Samantha Rourke? I'm Lieutenant Olivia Benson with the Special Victims Unit. This is Detective Amanda Rollins. Is it alright if we talk with you about what happened?"

The girl in the hospital bed with bruises on her face and pine needles in her hair doesn't say anything for a while and then she eventually says, "The nurses still need to do my exam."

"That's okay. Would you like us to wait for them to do that before we talk?" Olivia asks, as gently as she can.

Samantha shrugs. "No. I can do it now."

"Alright, what's the last thing you remember about last night?" Rollins asks, taking out a pad of paper and pen.

Samantha looks at the ceiling and exhales. "Well, I remember that I went to a party with my sister Ashley because that was the only time that I would be able to see her that day. I didn't even want to go out, really, that night, but, I did because I wanted to be with Ashley. I drank. A Lot. I remember that there was a guy who kept hitting on Ashley and he made her really uncomfortable. Then I remember waking up here. That's all."

Rollins writes down on her pad what Samantha has told her. "Okay. Do you know what happened to you, Samantha?"

"You can call me Sam," the girl says, "And no, I don't. I'm guessing nothing good."

"Well, we were called because the nurses think that you were raped, Sam," Olivia says, sitting down in the chair beside the hospital bed Sam lies on.

The color drains from Sam's face and her mouth gapes in disbelief. "R-Raped?"

Olivia nods. "Yes, I'm afraid so."

The two detectives give the girl some time to absorb what has just been said. After a few seconds have passed, Sam starts to hyperventilate, her breathing becoming steadily more erratic. Tears spring to her eyes and drop down her cheeks.

"I'll go find a paper bag," Rollins says, exiting the room.

Olivia sits down on the bed beside Sam. "Shhh, it's okay." Olivia rubs her hand up and down the girl's back in a comforting way, trying to help in any way she can. "I know that this is hard, but we can get you help, alright?"

"W-What if h-he gave me an STD?!" Sam exclaims. She pales and she puts a hand to her stomach. "O-Or got me p-pregnant?"

"The nurses will do a full exam for you and see if either of those things happened," Olivia explains.

"Is h-he going to get away with this?" Sam asks. "I've heard th-that rapes that happen at campuses don't usually get prosecuted. And that the g-guys get away with it."

"I'm not going to let that happen, Sam," Olivia shakes her head. "I'm going to get whoever did this to you. And I can assure you, he will be prosecuted."

"How do you know?" Sam demands. "Do you even know how this person is?"

Olivia nods. "We do. Two men were walking by when it happened and they detained the man who did it."

Sam's eyes widen. "Wait, they know who it is?"

"Yes," Olivia informs her. "His name is Brandon Taylor and he's a twenty-year-old who goes to Columbia University. We have him in custody."

"So, he's in jail?"

"Policy custody, but he will be when we're through with him. The Special Victims Unit works with an amazing District Attorney, so we'll get him."