Chapter 14: Press Conference Gone Wrong

An hour later, the ZPD arrived at the asylum to arrest Lionheart. Judy put the cuffs on him. "Mayor Lionheart, you are under arrest for the kidnapping of a child and false imprisonment of innocent citizens." Lionheart shook his head. "You don't understand! I was trying to protect the city!" "You were just trying to protect your job." "No! Listen, we still don't know why this is happening, it could destroy Zootopia!" "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you..." Chief Bogo put Lionheart in the back of the police cruiser and shut the door. Later on, Bogo was addressing the press. Behind him were pictures of savage animals-everyone of them wearing a muzzle. "Ladies and gentlemammals," Bogo said. Fourteen mammals went missing, and fourteen have been found by our newest recruit, who will speak to you in a moment." Judy and Nick stood off to the side. Sarah was with Ms. Weinstein who was getting the adoption papers ready for Nick to sign. "I'm so nervous." "Ok, Press Conference 101," Nick said. "You wanna look smart, answer their question with your own question and then answer that question. Like this: "excuse me, Officer Hopps, what can you tell us about the case?" "Well, was this a tough case? Yes, yes it was." You see?" "You should be up there with me. We did this together." Judy said. Nick shrugged. "Well, am I a cop? No. No, I'm not." Judy smiled. "Funny you should say that...because I've been thinking. It would be nice to have a partner." Judy said, taking out an application to the ZPD and handed it to Nick. She also offered him the carrot pen. "Here. In case you need something to write with." Bellwether walked over to Judy. "Officer Hopps, it's time." Nick looked down at the application, thinking. 'This is a big step I'm taking. Adopting Sarah, and maybe becoming a cop. What should I do?' Meanwhile, Judy stepped up to the podium and Bogo saluted her, Judy saluted him back. And then all the reporters started to shout her name and ask her questions. Judy pointed to one of the reporters. "What can you tell us about the animals going savage?" The beaver asked. "Well the...the animals in question... Are they all different species? Yes, yes they are." Judy looked at Nick, who smiled and gave her a thumbs up. "Ok, so what is the connection?" A female reporter asked. "Oh, all we know is that they are all members of the predator family." Nick stopped looking at the application and turned to Judy, frowning. The press started to react. Once again, they started yelling questions all at once. Judy looked surprised. "So, predators are the only ones going savage?" Judy nodded. "That is accu... Yes that is accurate, yes." "Why? Why is this happening?" A frantic pig asked. "We still don't know. But it may have something to do with biology." "What do you mean by that?" "A biological component. You know, something in their DNA." Judy answered. "In their DNA, can you elaborate on that please?" An antelope reporter asked. Judy nodded. "Yes. What I mean is, thousands of years ago, uh, predators survived through their...aggressive hunting instincts. For whatever reason, they seem to be reverting back to their primitive, savage ways." Nick did not like what he was hearing and Clawhauser looked uncomfortable, too. "Officer Hopps, could it happen again?" A beaver reporter asked. "It is possible, so we must be vigilant, and we at the ZPD are prepared and are here to protect you." "Will more mammals go savage?" "What is being done to protect us?" "Have you considered a mandatory quarantine on predators?" The questions were pouring in and Bellwether stepped up to the podium. "Ok, thank you Officer Hopps, uh, that's all the time we have, no more questions." "Was I ok?" Bellwether nodded. "Oh, you did fine!" Judy walked over to Nick. "Uh, that went so fast, I didn't get a chance to mention you, or say anything about how we..." Nick interrupted her. "Oh, I think you said plenty." Judy frowned. "What do you mean?" "Clearly there's a biological component? These predators may be reverting back to their primitive, savage ways? Are you serious?" Nick said, looking at Judy incredulously. "I just stated the facts of the case. I mean it's not like a bunny could go savage." "Right, but a fox could? Huh?" "Nick, stop it. You're not like them." Nick glared at Judy. "Oh there's a them now?" Judy rolled her eyes. "Ugh, you know what I mean. You're not that kind of predator." Nick gestured to all the posters of predators with muzzles on them. "The kind that needs to be muzzled?! The kind that makes you think you need to carry around fox repellent?" Judy looked shocked. "Yeah, don't think I didn't notice that little item the first time we met." Nick got even more angry by the minute. "So, let me ask you a question; are you afraid of me? Do you think I might go nuts? Do you think I might go savage? Do you think I might try to... eat you?" Nick lunged, like he was going to bite Judy. Judy flinched and she automatically put her hand on the fox repellent. Nick looked betrayed. "I knew it. Huh. Just when I thought someone actually believed in me, huh?" Nick handed Judy back the application. "Probably best if you don't have a predator for a partner." Before Nick could leave, Ms. Weinstein and Sarah walked up to them. "Mr. Wilde, I have the adoption papers all ready for you to sign." Nick clenched his fists and glared at Ms. Weinstein. "Keep her." Ms. Weinstein looked shocked. "I'm sorry, what?" "I said keep her. After all it's for the best that she wasn't raised by a predator." Nick stormed off leaving Ms. Weinstein shocked. Sarah ran after Nick and grabbed him by the arm. "Daddy don't go! Don't leave me!" Nick snarled, but before he knew it he shoved Sarah roughly to the floor. Sarah looked up at Nick and started to cry. Nick, realizing what he had done immediately felt guilty and tried to apologize. "Kid... I'm sorry. I didn't meant to-" Sarah pushed him away and ran into Ms. Weinstein's arms crying her eyes out. Ms. Weinstein glared at Nick. "I think it's time that you left, Mr. Wilde." Nick looked sadly at Sarah and walked away, taking off his ZPD sticker badge and throwing it in the trash can. Judy chased after him. "No, Nick. Nick!" Nick ignored her and walked out the door. Reporters immediately crowded around her. "Officer Hopps, were you just threatened by that fox? Did he hurt that poor little girl?" Judy shook her head. "No, he's my friend, he would never do something like that." "We can't even trust our own friends?" A rabbit reporter asked. "That is not what I said." "Are we safe?" A beaver reporter asked Judy. "Have any other foxes gone savage?" Judy pushed her way out of the crowd and saw Sarah crying on Ms. Weinstein's shoulder. Judy walked over to them and said. "I'll adopt her." Ms. Weinstein looked at Judy. "What?" "I'll adopt Sarah." Ms. Weinstein smiled warmly and turned to Sarah. "You hear that sweetheart? Judy's going to adopt you." Sarah sniffled and looked at Judy. "Really?" Judy smiled warmly and nodded. Sarah smiled slowly and Ms. Weinstein put Sarah down to take the adoption papers out of her purse. Sarah ran over to Judy and hugged her. Judy hugged her back. She was not going to let Sarah down and that was a promise. But there was another problem. Judy had broken her friendship with Nick and she had no idea on how to fix it. Judy then signed the adoption papers and took Sarah home.
~~~~~~
A/N: I cried writing this chapter. 😭