Chapter 11: Nick's Backstory

Meanwhile, Judy and Nick were still stuck in the vines. Nick was struggling to get out of them, but Judy remained calm. "Nick, you have to calm down." Nick shook his head. "No! We have to find Sarah! She could be hurt! Or worse!" Judy sighed. "Nick... I know your worried about her, I am too, but you have to remain calm." Nick stopped struggling and sighed sadly. "I was supposed to protect her, if anything happens to that kid, I'll never forgive myself." "Don't worry Nick, we'll find her." All of a sudden ZPD cop cars pulled up, Judy smiled and Chief Bogo was the first to step out of his police cruiser, he walked over to Judy and Nick with his arms crossed. "Well, this should be good." After the cops helped untangle Judy and Nick from the vines, Judy led Chief Bogo and the cops up to the canopy. "I thought this was just a missing mammal case, but it's way bigger. Mr. Otterton did not just disappear. I believe he and this jaguar...they went savage, sir." Chief Bogo scoffed. "Savage? This isn't the Stone Age, Hopps. Animals don't go savage."
Judy nodded. "I thought so, too, until I saw this." Judy pushed aside a branch to reveal...nothing. Mr. Manchas was gone along with Sarah. Judy was confused. "He was right here." Bogo scoffed. "The 'savage' jaguar." Judy turned to Bogo. "Sir, I know what I saw. He almost killed us." "Or maybe an aggressive predator looks savage to you rabbits," Bogo sneered at Judy and turned to the other officers. "Let's go." "Wait-sir, I'm not the only one who saw him! Nick!" But before Nick could say anything, Bogo scoffed. "You think I'm going to believe a fox?" "Well, he was a key witness, and I his services." Bogo looked annoyed. "Two days to find the otter...or you quit...that was the deal. Badge." He said, holding out his hand. "Sir, we..." "Badge." Chief Bogo said firmly. Judy was about to take off her badge when Nick spoke up. "Uh, no." Chief Bogo glared at Nick. "What did you say, fox?" "Sorry, what I said was 'no.' She will not be giving you that badge. Look, you gave her a...a clown vest, and a three-wheeled joke mobile, and two days to solve a case you guys haven't cracked in two weeks? Yeah, it's no wonder she needed help from a fox. None of you guys were gonna help her, were you? Here's the thing, Chief. You gave her the 48 hours, so technically we still have... ten left to find our Mr. Otterton, and that is exactly what we're gonna do. So, if you'll excuse us, we have a very big lead to follow, and a case to crack. Good day." Nick then turned to Judy. "Officer Hopps?" Nick guided her into a gondola and then he hopped in after her and leaving a stunned Chief Bogo and the rest of the police officers behind. Judy turned to Nick. "Thank you." "Never let them see that they get to you." Judy looked at Nick, surprised. "So things get to you?" Nick shook his head. "No... I mean, not anymore. But I was small and emotionally unbalanced like you once." Judy fake laughed. "Har-har." "No, true. I think I was eight, maybe nine, and all I wanted to do was join the Junior Ranger Scouts. So my mom scraped together enough money to buy me a brand new uniform. I was gonna be part of a pack." Nick told Judy that they strapped a muzzle on his snout and mocked him. In the end, he was limping home and his uniform was torn to shreds. "I learned two things that day. One, I was never going to let anyone see that they got to me." "And two?" "If the world's only gonna see a fox as shifty and untrustworthy, there's no point trying to be anything else." Judy gently put her paw on Nick's arm. "Nick, you are so much more than that." As the gondola pierced through the clouds, they looked down at the hustle and bustle of the city below. "Boy, look at that traffic down there," Nick said, changing the subject. "How about we go to Chuck in Traffic Central. Chuck, how are things looking on those Jam Cams?" "Nick, I'm glad you told me." "Wait! The Jam Cams!" Nick said urgently. "Seriously, it's ok." Nick shook his head. "N-No, shh-shush! There are traffic cameras everywhere. All over the canopy. Whatever happened to Sarah and that jaguar-" "The traffic cameras would have caught it!" Judy said excitedly. Nick smiled. "Bingo!" Judy, impressed, chucked Nick on the arm. "Pretty sneaky, Slick." Nick sighed. "However. If you didn't have access to the system before, I doubt Chief Buffalo Butt is gonna give it to you now." Judy smiled. "No. But I've got a friend at city hall who might!"