Chapter Thirty-Six

A/N

I said I was going to update yesterday, but I fell asleep. I promised myself that I would update today, so I just wrote this before I could let my sleep consume me. So, here it is! Enjoy!
.............................................................

20:34PM

"What about Zack?" He knits his brows and looks at me.

I have a million options right now. Ok no. The truth is, I have about none. Yeah, I could change the subject and just say oh never mind, but that will only make him feel like I'm being too secretive and we'll get into another fight. I just want to make him happy and I don't want any secrets. He's friends with Zack. I want him to understand what Zack's like before it's too late. 

I sigh and pause for a while.
"Zack's not who you think he is."

He nods softly, "ok..."

The same waiter that showed us here, places some food on our table. It seems like everything was preordered, but it's just warm soup. Light food is probably the best option since Matt and I just ate all those noodles.

I want to stall for as long as possible. I don't want to just talk about Zack. The smell of the soup flows into my nose. It smells so warm and delicious. Picking up my spoon, I eat some. The distinct taste reminds me of a warm cuddle. Unlike some soups I've tried, This one is thick and tasty. From across the table, his eyes scorch through me. It's obvious that I'm eating the soup to avoid answering the question and that doesn't float well with him. I hear him sigh. The sound comes out slightly strained and frustrated. Almost as if admitting temporary defeat, he picks up his spoon and starts eating as well.

Not long after however, he drops it and then resumes staring at me. His eyes are narrowed. Fierce. Searching for an answer.

The waiter places a baguette on the table and starts cutting it. Once he cuts about a quarter of it, Matt directs his eyes to the waiter and gives him the cold stare that was designated for me. Receiving the message, the waiter scrams away.

Slowly turning his head, Matt turns his attention back to me. I remain with my head down. I snatch a piece of the cut bread and enjoy it with the soup. In my peripheral vision, I see his hand clench the tablecloth. Finally, I pull my head up to face him.

"Are you going to continue?" Cold. His tone is so cold.

I swallow the piece of bread in my mouth and stop eating, "I can't let him win anymore. I can't keep lying to you."

"About what?" He says. He is obviously trying to hide his frustration.

"Zack. He's so cruel, Matt. I don't want you around him. You can't trust him. He lied to you—"

"When?" He snaps.

"When he told you all those things about me. When I was eavesdropping on our anniversary."

"God, I don't care about that!" He says exasperatedly.

"You don't care that he blackmailed me to make us break up?" I release.

Oh... It feels so good to let this all out.

He recoils slightly at the news. I watch him intently. His jaw clenches and his eyes narrow, staring back at me like an archer pulling back the arrow, aiming at his target.

"Elaborate."

One word. He only has one word to say to that.

"When you left to find Jude, I was alone with him in his office. He knows about the photos."