From Protector To Lady Chapter 18

Start from the beginning

I watched her for a while as she shot arrow after arrow, making a tightly correlated pattern.

"You're a natural," I smiled, watching her shoot the weapon, her face alight and giddy.

"She is almost as good as I," I heard Philip's familiar voice speak from behind me.

"I think she may be better than you with some practice," I smiled.

"Nah, she's too much of a princess," he chided.

"Oh Philip, hush!" Amelia said before letting another arrow fly, this one landing directly in the center. She turned to us, eyebrow raised and lips pursed. "Princess my arse."

Philip chuckled and shook his head before Amelia spoke up again.

"Well, what is it? You have that look about you, you came here to say something."

I examined Philip's face closely, I could see nothing, obviously I have never put much time into trying to read the man's face.

"Yes, the men will be returning from their battle within days," he said, his eyes probing mine.

"Already?" Amelia breathed. "Does that mean..."

"They succeeded. Vodnik has been taken care of," he said as he looked to his sister, smiling.

"Vodnik?" I questioned, confused by the name having never heard it before.

"Yes. He was the leader of the raiders. He was the one that killed our mother when we were young and was responsible for Stanton's family as well. Getting rid of Vodnik has been Stanton's main mission for my father since he pledged his allegiance."

"I understand," I said quietly, in respect for the lost loved ones.

"Yes. They finished the job in only a few weeks, they are on their journey back already, much sooner than predicted," he said quietly.

"Oh, that's wonderful! Isn't it Rebecca?" Amelia asked, smiling ear to ear. Philip shot her a quick glance before looking to me, hoping to read an expression.

"Yes, I do suppose it is a good thing," I said quietly. My stomach rolled as I thought of the return of a certain Arms Master.

"Philip, let's go inside and talk to father, I'm sure he wishes to see us," Amelia urged as she tugged on his shoulder, leaving me along with my thoughts.

Why was my pulse racing? Why was I breathing so heavily? I had not missed the man when he was gone, why should I anticipate his return at all? I shook my head, hoping I would be able to suppress this foolishness before the men returned.

The next few days went by much faster than I had hoped. The more I tried to make it slow, the faster it seemed to go.

"Lady Rebecca! The king wishes to speak to you," a young servant girl said as I walked past the dining hall doors one evening.

"Thank you," I said, smiling to her before turning back the way I had come, in the direction of the throne room.

I arrived at the throne room in only a few minutes, knocking slightly before I heard him call me in.

"Ahh, Rebecca!" The king spoke as he looked at me. He stood next to the fireplace, staring into the crackling pit with a goblet in his hand.

"Your majesty," I curtseyed.

"How have you been of late, I fear I haven't heard much from you," he smiled, rather warmly.

"Very well, thank you," I said quietly.

"And news of your brother?" He asked, cocking his head to the side.

"My brother is very well. He has recovered almost fully, except for his legs of course. Walking still seems to be out of the picture. Thank you for your concern," I smiled.

"Of course. Now, what I really asked you here for is of utmost importance. My daughter, as you know, is unnaturally infatuated with this young man, Arden. What do you know of him?" he asked, stepping towards me, his face intense as he studied me.

"I have met him only on a few occasions. From what I have seen, he is a very respectable young man. He is just as enamored with her as she is with him," I spoke honestly.

"Hmm..so I have been told by many. I don't know what it is with that girl, Amelia. She could have any young man she wants and she chooses him," he said, shaking his head. Though I thought extremely lowly of the king for the way he had treated Stanton on occasion, his leniency when it came to his daughter almost made me respect the man.

My head snapped back as I heard a loud knock on the door, before hearing the king bellow "Enter."

My entire heart, mind, and body froze as I saw the man who stepped into the room. His shaggy blonde hair falling now into his eyes, his eyes just as intense as I had ever remembered...he put any memories I had of him to shame.

My pulse began to race as he looked at me, his eyes holding mine powerfully before he broke contact and bowed.

"Your majesty," he spoke. His voice sent chills down my back and I found myself feeling almost faint.

"Ah, Stanton! The hero of all of Ethelid! How do you fare?" the King asked as he rushed over to the man, clapping him on the shoulder.

I scolded myself. Why was I reacting in such a way? This is foolish. I bit my cheek, hoping to bring myself back to reality and straighten my mind.

"Very well, thank you," he spoke.

"Now, we have an agreement I am sure you remember. You have held up your end, now I shall hold up mine."

"If you still wish," Stanton replied. I rolled my eyes. Now he becomes humble?

"I do. The duchy of Tarantsmo shall be yours in a few weeks and you shall be named Duke Stanton Holwell," he said, smiling.

Stanton's face seemed to glow with radiance and pride as he nodded. "I thank you greatly."

I snorted. He had apparently found his manners on this long journey.

I was surprised to see two sets of eyes staring at me when I raised my head. My mouth dropped open as I was at a loss for words, my cheeks burning in shame. I did not know they had heard me.

"If that is everything, your majesty, I would like to help the men unpack," Stanton said, breaking the silence. I raised my chin slightly, still under the scrutinizing stare of the king.

"Actually, Stanton, there is one more thing," he said as he patted the man on the arm lightly.

"If it is no trouble," I said quietly, trying to make an escape. "I have many things to attend to."

"Nonsense. I have something I wish to tell you, as well, Lady Rebecca," the king said, smiling at me. His smile looked genuine enough, but behind his eyes I could see something almost wicked lying there.

"You do realize, Stanton, that Tarantsmo is one of the largest duchies I possess. The village contains hundreds of inhabitants, you will most definitely need many helping hands to keep the manor up and running."

"That is true, but there is already many servant hands in the manor, is there not?" Stanton asked, slightly confused.

"I do not speak of servant hands, Stanton," the king said, his voice arrogant, as he continued to stare directly into my eyes, never breaking his gaze with me.

"What do you speak of, then? What is it that I am in need of?" Stanton asked. I broke the gaze from the king and looked to Stanton, his face holding pure confusion.

"A wife," the King said simply.