Chapter 3

I open my eyes up to see my popcorn ceiling. My mom is standing right next to e repeating my name.

"Ana." Mom says shaking me a little bit.

I sit up immediately. It's the 3rd to last day of school. It's Friday. I look at the digital clock on my night stand and it switched to 2:36 pm.

"Sweetie, what's the last thing you remember?"
"Melissa's little brother punching me." I say. That's actually pretty funny. "Mom, can you give me my notebook?"
My mom hands me my notebook and I write,
"Dear David, Melissa's little brother punched me and I passed out. It was quite the experience. Everything hurts right now. I want 10 days to go by quick. It feels like the longest day ever. So much has happened today, it's insane."

TUESDAY, MAY 31st
Today, I go back to school. Yesterday was Memorial Day so we went to Galveston Beach and spent the whole day with Matthew. 5 more days before David comes back home. I already sent the first envelope. I-

I am interrupted by dad calling me to go downstairs. I was up early so he wasn't calling me down for breakfast nor probably anything that has to do with school. I was down the stairs and I see dad looking at my envelope that was supposed to have shipped straight to David a few days ago.

"What is this?" Dad questioned me. He held up the envelope.

"I'm sending letters to David while he's in Colorado."

"Ok that's fine." Dad said starting with a smile but faded to a frown. "I don't know why but it got sent back.

I looked at him with a blank face. Last time one of our packages were sent back, it was because the PO box was closed . And it was closed because Stella died... Stella was my moms co-workers daughter.

I had a really bad thought. You probably already know. But that's impossible. We should have gotten a call or a message telling us about everything. Daily, David's teacher gives us their schedule for what they are going to do for the day. I closed my eyes for a few seconds trying to process everything. My head aches and I got really worried as mom walks in from the computer room, trying to hide that she is crying a river.

"Katie! Why are you crying? What's wrong?" Dad questioned mom running up to her.

"I just-um saw pictures of my mom from a couple o-of yea-years ago-o. " mom said. Oh I'm sorry, let me rephrase that. Mom lied. It's so obvious when she lies because she reddens and stutters. Now I feel like something is wrong. Something bad. Mostly I think there's something wrong with my only trust worthy sibling, David.

Could I take this? Why is mom lying? What happened to David? What do I do now? How could I help this situation? Is there even anything I could do?

By now, I was in tears. Half of the reason being that I'm mad/ frustrated and the other half being extremely worried. I run up the spiral stair case and bury myself in my pillows.