Chapter 6

Ensign Garrovick let out the smallest of sighs as he studied his charge, who sat idly on the bed with a melancholy and far-away look spread across his odd features. Richard Starkey, or "Ringo" as he'd heard his friends call him, was not very old - about the same age as himself. The officer felt a slight pang of pity as he looked at the other young man, thinking of how frightening and strange it must feel to find oneself trapped in a time to which one didn't belong, how out-of-touch and how isolated one's knowledge and experience would become, and worse still to lose a friend to the dangers of such a time.

Suddenly Ringo stirred, clearing his throat a little roughly. "Do you still drink water in the twenty-fourth century?"

"Sure do," Garrovick chuckled. "Do you need a glass?"

"If it's not too much trouble."

Garrovick complied, using the food replicator on the wall. Ringo, catching sight of the process, gaped in astonishment.

"Is that all there is to preparing food now?"

Garrovick grinned. "Yup. And even better than that, we can make food from practically anything, just by rearranging atomic structure. We've officially eliminated world poverty back on earth."

Ringo seemed to ponder this information for a few moments before he asked, slowly. "Does that mean there's no more war?"

Garrovick's grin faded slightly, replaced by a sad smile. "Once Earth discovered the existence of extra-terrestrial life, it began to see the larger picture that was the galaxy. Differences between countries fell away as people began to identify simply as human against the many races in the galaxy. We still have war, however, and we probably always will. But Earth will never see another war between her people."

"That makes me very happy."

After that they fell into silence once more, until Ringo spoke again.

"Is there some way I could talk to one of the lads? George or Paul?"

"Give me a moment."

Garrovick walked over to the small screen that stood on a table near the bed, pulling his chair with him. Having seated himself in front the screen, he pressed a few buttons, and in a moment Luci's face popped up.

"Hey, Luci, Ringo here wants to talk to Paul. Is that okay?"

"Don't see why not?" Luci grunted, moving away and motioning Paul to take the seat in front of the monitor, just as Garrovick did the same for Ringo. The two Beatles looked at each other, once again in a little shock at the technological possibilities on this century, before Paul spoke.

"Ringo, lad, how are you holding up?"

"I'm alright, Paulie, just a little-" Ringo hesitated.

"Out of place?" Paul offered. "Me too, man."

"Not just that. Paul, I'm scared."

The ghost of a grin Paul wore dropped away, and for a moment he looked very tired. But he gathered himself quickly and said, more quietly now, "John?"

Ringo nodded. Paul sighed, glancing down at the floor, but when he looked up, his face wore a smile once more.

"Don't worry, Ringo. He'll be fine. We all will."

"Are you sure?" Ringo asked, a little more hopeful now.

"Of course," Paul replied, lightly. "You've seen what this ship thing can do!"

"Well," said Ringo slowly. "If you really think so-"

"Oh, I do!"

"Then I guess there's nothing much to worry about!" Ringo finished happily.

"Sure, man. Listen, why don't you call up George on this thing - I need to catch a wink or two. Do you mind?"

Ringo nodded understandingly, and the connection closed. But once Paul's face was no longer on screen, the bassist's smile slid off completely, and the knot of worry that was twisting his insides almost painfully was evident.

Paul did not know what was to come, but he was almost certain it was not going to be alright.