Chapter 5

"Bridge."

Spock felt himself speeding toward the bridge, and moments later he reached his destination. Spock stepped out of the elevator, making his way over to his post unobtrusively, and he took the situation in seconds later. The Enterprise was still following close behind the Klingon ship, and the Enterprise was attempting to make contact, however the Klingons were not being cooperative.

"Hailing on all frequencies, captain; the Klingons are not responding," Uhura told Kirk, who nodded gravely.

"Well, keep trying," he said, and Spock glanced out the front of the ship to see the Klingons speeding along through the galaxy, not far ahead of the Enterprise. Spock wondered what their motive could be, for their actions had seemed most irregular, but he figured the Enterprise crew wasn't meant to know anything about the Klingon scheme. It seemed to Spock, though, that Klingons were doing a very successful job of hiding their purpose.

"Chekhov, are you able to tell what their current destination is?" Kirk asked the ensign, who gave a slight shrug.

"Well, they are heading in the direction of the Klingon Empire, captain, but that doesn't mean it's their destination," Chekhov spoke, and Kirk nodded. That wasn't a surprise, where else would the Klingons go in the 1960's, besides their home planet? After all, they couldn't have easily known what was on other planets in this time, and so whatever they were doing most likely would center around Kronos. However, that didn't mean that they wouldn't attempt to enter a time warp at any moment.

"Sir, the Klingon ship is now responding," Uhura told Kirk suddenly, and Kirk nodded.

"Put them on the main screen," Kirk told Uhura, and moments later Koloth flickered into view.

"Hello, Captain Kirk. What's so urgent to tell me?" Koloth leered malevolently, and Kirk unintentionally frowned cynically.

"Koloth, you must return Lennon to Earth. The affects of his absence will seriously affect the timeline. You're dealing with things beyond either of our power or complete understanding!" Kirk told Koloth, who gave a low laugh.

"And you think that I care what happens to your Earth past? As for understanding, I understand what is happening perfectly well. I understand that this is all working out excellently for my objective." Koloth paused for a moment, and then asked innocently, "Did you go to all that effort to contact me to just tell me that?"

Kirk's brow furrowed as he told Koloth, "I don't know what your objective is, however, Lennon's absence could change both of our pasts more than you know. For example, Lennon supported peace, what if he never does that? Potentially Earth could become a warrior society and come to take over many planets in the galaxy, including your planet. You just don't know what the effects of your actions could be! I demand you return him to Earth!"

Koloth guffawed, "I don't believe you are in the position, Captain, to be demanding anything of me or my ship." Koloth paused, glaring at Captain Kirk for a moment. It was obvious that Kirk was determined to convince Koloth to return to Earth with the captive and wouldn't easily be relenting. Koloth observed Kirk for a moment or two, and then he looked to the side, giving a short nod. Another Klingon that Kirk vaguely recognized from the space station with the tribbles came into view, John appearing with him. John's arm was twisted tightly behind his back, but he locked eyes with Kirk, his expression completely unreadable. He appeared unharmed, though his jacket was now missing. The Klingon held a weapon to John's side, and Koloth smirked.

"If you try to interfere with what I am doing, this human will suffer the consequences." Koloth told Kirk, who hesitated. "Do not fire onto my ship, or get in the way."