Chapter 11: The Crossroads

Comincia dall'inizio

'Something bad's happened and we need your help,' Daisy answered, her voice serious.

'Oh no, what is it?' Poppy started panicking, 'Nothing's happened to Gerda has it? Something bad's happened back home? Has something gone wrong in Frailing? Is it Mum? Is she okay? What about Kriston . . .'

'Shh, Poppy and I'll tell you.' Daisy took a deep breath. 'Morwain's back.'

A sharp intake of breath from Annifer, a yelp from Poppy.

'No!' Petros exclaimed.

'He's stolen the Wise Women's crystal of power and released a gorgon who was imprisoned in the village. He's taking them to Sacred Mountain. He means to kill the dragon.'

'Cressida showed us how Morwain's trapped the dragon beneath the mountain and he's sending curses through the tunnels to weaken him.' Jemima took up the story. 'When the dragon's too weak to fight back, he's going to send the gorgon in. A gorgon's bite is the only thing which can kill a dragon.

'Wise Women need the dragon. Without him there can be no Burned One at the head of our tribe and if there's no Burned One, the Wise Women will fall. It's prophesied.'

'That's not the only thing the dragon does for us,' Daisy added. 'He protects our continent from . . .' she suddenly remembered the existence of the giants was meant to be a secret,

'. . . from danger. He stands between us and the dangers of the northern wilderness.'

'So we need to save the dragon and we need Annifer's help.' Jemima and Daisy both looked directly at Poppy.

'But Annifer's got to go to Loska and marry . . .' Poppy trailed off, her eyes widening as their intention slowly dawned on her. 'You want me to . . .'

Daisy saw the fear in her sister's eyes and felt a pang in her stomach, instantly doubting that this was a good idea. She laid a hand on Poppy's shoulder,

'Sis . . .'

'I've always wanted to play at being a real princess,' she covered Daisy's hand with her own and smiled a strained smile. After all her sister had gone through to stop Morwain three years ago, she couldn't let her down now.

'You can do it, Poppy!' Annifer clasped her by the other shoulder. 'You'll do a much better job of being regal than I ever have and it won't be for long, I promise you. We'll come back and explain everything to King Fenwick as soon as we've saved the dragon.' Poppy gulped and nodded jerkily. She blinked hard, her stomach turning to ice as she tried not to think what an almost impossible task that would be.

'Okay,' Annifer grabbed a knapsack and started rummaging around in the back of the sled. 'Let's pack some clothes and provisions for the journey.'

'Wait,' Petros said, 'Sacred Mountain's at least a day's journey away. You'll need a sled but the last waystation's a full day's journey back the other way. I'll have to take Poppy to the palace, then come back and drive you there.'

'No, Petros. They're expecting you to stay three days then drive back to Frailing with gifts for Kriston in exchange for me.' Annifer scowled. She hated how much it felt like she was being sold. 'If you change the plan, they'll suspect something.'

'Tomorrow we can shift again,' said Jemima snipping off a lock from the mane of one of the shire horses and holding it up with a smile.

'But what about all the wild animals?' Poppy asked.

'They don't attack Shifters,' Daisy answered. 'You saw how that wolf treated Jemima. Every animal senses us as one of their own kind so we'll be safe. Don't worry.'

'And where will you sleep? There are no more waystations between here and Sacred Mountain. You're venturing into the wilderness. The road's just a dirt track after a couple of miles.'

'They teach us how to survive in the wild at the Wise Women's village. Jemima's great at building shelters and I can build a good fire.'

'I hate to rush this,' Petros butted in, 'but the king of Crosstain's expecting Annifer at dinnertime. If we delay any longer we won't make it.'

There was another round of hugging with Daisy holding Poppy a bit longer than the others.

'Goddess protect you, sister,' she whispered, stroking Poppy's hair tenderly as they pulled apart.

'Goddess protect you, too.'

And with that they went their separate ways. Poppy and Petros in the sled along the road to Loska and Jemima, Daisy and Annifer on foot towards Sacred Mountain, neither party knowing what the road ahead held in store for them.

Thanks for reading 😊

Please vote if you liked it and do leave your comments ⭐️ 💬 I appreciate any mistake spotting and pointing out of inconsistencies.

This chapter is dedicated to JanetPollock who read Annifer, Plaguesbane and Sacred Mountain so far in one sitting.

Thank you 🙏

✨🌿⭐️🌺💛🌺⭐️🌿✨