CHAPTER SEVEN: BALANCE

Start from the beginning

Will Herondale smirked, shrugging his shoulders effortlessly. "Well, couldn't have left my most beloved damsel in distress alone now, could I?"

"You know I am no damsel in distress, Will. I am not one of those poor girls you find and save and then they suddenly feel the disastrous urge to repay you in any possible way."

"Oh, I know that," Will said, tucking his hands deep into the pockets of his black trousers. He started walking toward the first row of seats. "I would never consider you one of them."

"Good," Marie nodded to herself.

"Aren't you going to join me?" Will asked, turning his head to the side in order to observe the brunette.

"Right," Marie sounded confused. The obsidian⎼haired boy acted as if she hadn't behaved irrationally only hours before. In fact, he showed the same behavior as whenever the two were alone.

The Wayland girl took a seat beside Will, making sure to leave enough space between them.

Both of them were silent as they observed the way last rays of sunshine entered the cold chapel. Their play was exciting to watch; the way light interacted with everything it came in contact with left both Marie and Will speechless.

"So, Jessamine took it too far, hasn't she?" Will chuckled, breaking the comfortable silence.

It was always like this with Will and Marie. Contrary to everyone else, they felt at ease with each other despite where they've been. It didn't matter whether or not it was just the two of them or there was someone to keep them company ⎼ the pair felt pleasant around each other. No conversation needed to be shared, they could've just sat next to each other, aware of other's presence ⎼ and that would have been enough for the two of them to feel happy and fulfilled.

"She has, but I wasn't exactly the most patient and calm person ever. Not that I needed to be one. Jessamine had no right to suggest something like that. She knows how bad my father is," Marie explained, her hands moving around as she talked. "She knows."

"I know," Will's blue gaze flew to Marie's frame. "He doesn't deserve to see you after everything."

Marie's head sank down. "I believe that she doesn't understand that. My whole life I've been treated as if I am the most ruthless killer to walk this planet. Whenever he looked at me, I could notice this... hatred. You can't really describe it with words. He looks at me as if I have commited a sin of sorts. And then, h⎼he w⎼would raise his hand at me⎼"

"You don't need to proceed with this, Marie," Will said, noticing the way her voice began to quiver. "I know that."

"Right, I apologize," Marie whispered.

"Don't. You shouldn't apologize for his behavior. No man should raise a hand on a woman, especially not a father. He doesn't deserve you, Celine."

Marie met Will's eyes after a moment of silent debate. His eyes lingered on her, watching her as if she was a piece of glass ready to break.

"Thank you, Will."

"I think you should forgive her. Jessamine I mean," Will changed the theme of their conversation. "She is dumb in her own way."

"Will! That's just rude!"

"Oh, come on, Marie," Will chuckled. "I think our time apart made you forget my personality traits. It's like you don't even know me."

But she did know him. She knew him better than anyone else, except Jem, of course.

"Maybe."

Will offered the girl a small smile. "I believe every person has both light and darkness in themselves. When it's their light side that dominates ⎼ they are bright and pleasant to be around. Their mind is filled with rich colors and each day they wake up ⎼ they emit the generosity and understanding. Almost like the sun. It makes people around them like them, they want to be around them. However, when their dark side wins, it's almost like a cold winter suddenly came. Snow substituted their sun and they were ready to do whatever it took to send people home, away from them."

Knowing Will, the female Shadowhunter knew that there was a deeper meaning behind his analogy. She wanted to push him into telling her, but she knew him far too good to try such a thing. He would, most professionally, avoid her questions and try to convince her that she was being delusional.

So, instead of trying to pry an answer out of the boy, Marie decided to honor the simple joy her heart felt when she was next to Will. She needed to remind herself of the safety and serenity Will brought to her. After everything she went through, it was exactly what she needed.

"Anyway," Will broke his previous rambling by standing up and extending his arm for Marie to take. "The night is falling and in London ⎼ it means only one thing."

"What might that be?" Marie scrunched her eyebrows in confusion before accepting Will's hand.

"My, God," Will uttered as he pulled the girl up. He then placed his arm around her shoulder, bringing her closer to him. "Those Sisters really brainwashed you."

"Will!" Marie scowled at her friend, punching him lightly.

The male Shadowhunter enacted a scene where he was being hurt enough to die before pulling the girl to him once more. This time, it was so close that he felt the heat her body was producing. Even his nostrils were filled with the sweet smell of vanilla.

Oh, how he had missed the comforting scent.

"Let me freshen your memories of the London's finest taverns!"

The brunette laughed loudly, tossing her head backwards. Will was powerful, she had to give him that. The boy never truly ceased to amaze her. In the matter of moments, he would seek an adequate way to brighten up her mood and put her in better spirits ⎼ even when she didn't really feel like it.

And just like that, Marie Wayland allowed the obsidian⎼haired boy to lead her far away from her problems. She sold her soul to him, allowing him to calm her raging storms ⎼ for yesterday was far too heavy for her to bear ⎼ so it was best for her to put it down and William Herondale was there to help her with it, every step of the way. 

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

NOTE:

So, this chapter is a whole new one. I really hope you went through it, cause my babies got to connect again! But, on a more serious note - what did you guys think about this chapter?

I would really like to hear it! Also, would you like to see some more scenes like this?

Sending all my love to those of you who kindly joined me on this adventure, 

Helen x