Chapter 15: Karma Time

Beginne am Anfang

"We will not discuss my marriage decisions now, Karma." he coughed. "Anyway, the reason I called you. Your mother--"

"Step-mother." I corrected. 

"...she's back." 

My eyes widened, my mouth fell slightly ajar. "She's back?" I questioned. "So early?" 

"She finished her job in Japan six years early." he explained. "As expected from a world-class assassin, huh?" 

"Stop complimenting her. You're wasting your breath." I snapped. "Anyway, why are you telling me this? Am I supposed to greet her or something?" 

"I want you to bring Nagisa to her." 

"Are you crazy?!" I yelled, almost waking up the princess beside me. "Bring him to her?! After she ditched us to leave for Japan?! No way am I letting Nagisa near that bitch." 

"Why?" his question caught me off guard. "Why wouldn't you let him see her? After all, she is his mother. To you, she's just a step-mother, am I right? You shouldn't have any problem with watching him break down after learning the truth, now should you?" 

My chest tightened, "I said I'm not doing it." I repeated. "He's my target. You shouldn't bother me. If you want to see that bitch, then be my guest. Don't let her near this brat."

"That is no way to address your mother." he snapped. 

"I don't care." 

"Why are you hesitating to kill him?" he suddenly asked. "Could it be, your plan backfired?" 

My eyes snapped open once again as my breath hitched slightly. "What are you talking about?" 

"Ah, I see." his voice chuckled. "Your plan of getting close to him and killing him when he lets down his guard is about to fail, huh? You're starting to get attached to him. You don't have the heart to kill your new friend." 

"Shut up!" I yelled, my blood boiled, fueled by his words. "I can kill him! I just don't want to yet!" 

"Karma, this isn't like you." he commented. "Where's the cold, heartless monster that can kill anybody without feeling any remorse whatsoever? Is having Nagisa around starting to waver your personality?"

"I told you to shut up, you old geezer!" I blew off my top. "He's mine! I'll decided what's going to happen to him so, leave me the fuck alone and go bang your wife when she gets here!" 

"Karma--"

"You have more than one son!" I reminded. "Make Gakushuu do whatever you want and just forget that I'm existing, will you?!" 

With that, I hung up, not even bothering to hear what he as to offer as defense or even as an apology. 'Damn that geezer!' I cursed him. 'Making me do what he wants and not thinking about what I want. He's the very description of a bastard!' 

Thanks to him, I have to kill this brat that, although not literally but, technically, is the reason mom left us. Leaving behind that cursed bitch as a replacement. She wasn't even there for very long either! She went to halfway around the world to ditch us. 

Ugh, this life is impossible. 

"Could it be, your plan backfired?"

Like hell it did. I'm just gradually making it seem that I'll always be here then, I'll just stab him in the back. Easy as that. No regrets, no guilt. Just get the job done and its over. 

"K-Karma..." I heard him mumbled while his eyes were still shut. "Y-You idiot..." 

I stared at him in disbelief. But then, I chuckled, trying desperately to contain it and not let it transform into a laugh that could wake him up.