Chapter 1

"Still up for that nightcap?" Ed Tucker asks, hands in his coat pocket trying to keep warm through the cold weather.

Glad that he remembered their lost plans, Olivia sighs contently. "Yeah, I really could use a drink." It's been yet another hard and long case and she doesn't know if she's just tired or if all the cases lately have been harder than years past. Turning towards the nearest bar, she sees it's full of young drunks and noise and that's just not where her head is tonight...or any night. "Uhh you know what? Not here."

His hand falls from the small of her back and she's still getting used to his touch that's more gentle than she ever thought it could be.

"Wherever you want to go," he shrugs. "You tell me."

Walking towards the curb, she soon falls in step. "Ok."

He's being agreeable and easy and she's thankful because that's exactly what she needs right now. Easy. Her arm links with his, her mind swimming temporarily between the case and the shift in the relationships in her life lately. Those thoughts are normally reserved for late into the night while unable to sleep and trying to figure out what's missing in her life.

"Do you want to go in there?" Ed asks a bit more forcefully jarring her attention. "You ok?"

Stopped abruptly on the curb, a few annoyed bystanders walk around them.

Olivia shakes her head trying to snap back into the present. "Uhh yeah."

"Or we can go back to your place or something if you want?" he offers and a blush creeps on her cheeks. They are not ready for that yet. At least she's not but she's beginning to suspect that he is. That he's ready for something more. They've only just begun seeing each other here and there casually over the past month, not even a kiss yet except on the cheek. Anything behind closed door feels like she would be leading him on.

"Uhh, let's go in there," she nods toward the small bar with just a few patrons and he gives her a knowing smirk. The hesitation is clear but in another very un-Tucker like move, he's being very understanding.

"Ok."

She orders her new favorite drink of late, Bourbon on the rocks, he orders the same and they settle into comfortable conversation in the small booth. Trying not to talk about work especially the Abraham case proves to be difficult. It's so much of who they are that it creeps in even in the slightest moments.

"How's Rollins been since coming back from maternity leave?" he asks finishing the last of his drink.

Olivia motions towards the bartender for another round and finishes off her drink as well. "She's definitely a bit more tenacious as if that was possible." And judgmental thinking to herself of Rollins comments to her a couple of weeks ago about addiction and putting children first.

Ed chuckles and his left hand slips across the table to grab her right one that is fidgeting on the small wooden table. He squeezes it reassuringly and she rewards him with a tight smile.

"I'm sure you've got it under control."

"You have a lot of faith in me, " she mutters briefly nodding to acknowledge the waitress who has brought over their next round.

"I've seen what you can do and what you've been through. An overzealous Rollins is no match for that."

Olivia nods again trying not to let her mind wander through the implications of such a loaded statement. The past few years have been rough, more so than ever in her life. Despite her visits to the therapists and her dates with the wine bottles at home, there are some memories that won't leave her hectic mind.