Just in Time

-Vanessa's POV-

"Here." Carli said as she pressed an ice pack against my face.

I flinched in pain. Honestly it hurt like hell. I never knew Leo was even that strong.

"Are you sure you'll be able to play today?" Morgan asked me. She was holding my hand and sitting next to me on the bench.

"I'll be fine, I promise. The pain will go away. What time is it?" I tried to change the subject.

"3:30 PM" Moe replied.

"See? I have 2 hours and 30 minutes to get better." I forced myself to let out a small smile.

Morgan just nodded . It was sweet to see how she was so worried about me. I squeezed her hand. Carli left the room to get more ice.

"Don't worry about me, really." I reassured her.

"I know, it's just. What would have happened if we didn't see you?" she asked.

I thought about what she said. I couldn't imagine what would've happened.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have asked." Morgan said.

"It's fine." I said as I set my head on her shoulders and closed my eyes. I stayed there until Carli came back.

"Okay, so what do we do now?" Carli asked.

"I don't know." I said, honestly.

-Moe-

Something is still wrong with her and I don't know how to fix it.

Do I make her go home? Would she be mad at me if I tried?

"Look, I'm going to play today." Vanessa assured us, it was as if she was reading my mind.

"It's not that big of a deal if you don't play today." I said.

"Yeah it is." Vanessa snapped.

She had a habit of that, snapping at me. But hey, what are you going to do?

"Sorry, it's just it seems like nothing ever works out for me." she said.

I softly pressed my hand against her cheek that wasn't hurting and directed her to face me, "Things will get better, I promise."

She blushed and smiled, "I know, and I have you here now too." I could feel my cheeks turning red and I smiled.

"Okay lovebirds we still need to go sign stuff and take pictures." Carli interrupted us.

Fuck you, Lloyd.

"Is my face still red?" Vanessa asked me.

I examined her cheek to see the blotch was now a very light pink.

"Yeah you look fine...beautiful I mean." I told her.

She smiled and squeezed my hand. "Thank you, you're not so bad yourself." She said, and then winked at me.

"Come on, we have pictures to take and stuff to sign." Carli said as she walked out of the locker room.

Vanessa never stopped holding my hand and led me out of the room.