Mockingjay Song

This work is based on the storyline of Once Upon a Time season five. (Specifically 5x11)
this has not been beta'd. all mistakes are mine.

(pairing: captain swan/everlark)
character list:
emma swan: katniss everdeen
killian jones/captain hook: peeta mellark
mary margaret blanchard/snow white: annie cresta
david nolan/prince charming: finnick odair
regina mills/the evil queen: johanna mason
zelena mills/the wicked witch: president coin
mr. gold/rumpelstiltskin/the crocodile: president snow
henry mills: rye mellark (mason) (yes i know henry is neal's kid and not killian's but idk what else to do) (and its mason bc johanna adopted him) (oh look at the ouat family tree being confusing as always)
(neal cassidy/baelfail: galefail)

THIS WORK CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS FROM THE TELEVISION SHOW ONCE UPON A TIME SEASON 5.

This was never supposed to happen.
She was never supposed to sacrifice herself.
She was never supposed to become the Dark One.
She was never supposed to succumb to the darkness.
He was never supposed to get hurt.

He was never supposed to get cut by Excalibur.

He was never supposed to die.

But he did anyway.
She used Excalibur, used it to tether it to him, like the dagger was tethered to her.
She was supposed to listen to him. Should have listened to him, when he told her he could not fight the darkness.

She should've known.

She should've known that centuries of villainy, darkness and desire for revenge would resurface, as soon as she turned him into a Dark One.
She should've known that she couldn't just kill Coin, not without everyone interfering.
She should've known that she could not keep the truth from Peeta, no matter how hard she tried.
No matter how many times she 'saved' his life. (Even though he was never in any danger)
She should've known that, as soon as she lied to him in Camelot, the darkness would take over him, and he would go behind her back.

What she could've never known was that he was willing to cast a dark curse. That he was willing to crush the heart of the one that he loved most (well, the heart of the one that Nimue loved most).
What she could've never known was that Peeta was willing to send her entire family to the Underworld, just to get what he wanted. She had never in a million years guessed that he would summon all past Dark Ones, just to get his bloody revenge.

She would've never known that this dark Peeta only saw her as a 'pretty distraction'.
She would've never known that he wanted to hurt her, because of how she had hurt him.
She would've never guessed that the man she loves, the man who was supposed to be her future, the man that tore down her walls and ripped off her armor, would want her to suffer.

This man was not the one Katniss loved. He was a different person.
Dark Peeta was not Real Peeta.

"Katniss, slow down. We need to talk about this, we need a plan!" Finnick told his daughter.
"The plan is to find Peeta before he resurrects all of the Dark Ones," Katniss replied, not blinking once, continuing to move forward.
"And what are you going to do when you find him? Do you think you can talk him out of this?" Finnick pressed.
"There's no talking," Johanna interjected. "We have to hit him with everything we've got."
Katniss could feel all her muscles tighten in her body at the mention of hurting Peeta, but she didn't say anything.
"Well it's not his fault, he didn't want to become the Dark One," Annie said, fully aware of her daughter's tension.
Katniss could feel the pressure inside her bubbling
up.
"But he did, because of me." Katniss stopped, making everyone else do the same. She took a deep breath before saying what she knew needed to be said. "Johanna's right. We need to hit him with everything." she barely believed the words coming out of her mouth. She was talking about hurting Peeta.
Her mother looked at her, completely stunned. "This is the man that you loved."