16 | Hermione's Birthday Part 1

Start from the beginning

5:15 p.m.

The three of them had Apparated to the Burrow. Lively Celtic music blared from inside the house, and fairy lights lit up the whole place. The very same tent during Bill and Fleur's wedding stood outside on the freshly-cut grass, the wind quietly pounding onto it.

"Oh my god," Hermione marveled, her smile reaching from ear-to-ear. "You gents," —she playfully slapped Harry and Ron's shoulders—"I thought it was just dinner!"

"It is dinner, Hermione," Ron said. "Just outside in the cold of night."

Harry put an arm around her. "Let's go see Molly and the others, yeah?"

"Others?"

The two men shared a mischievous look.  And so they traipsed toward the tent, just where the entrance was. Hermione felt her heart thumping inside her, excitement filling her until she could no longer feel anything but gaiety. Arms laced together, she let her two best friends take her inside.

"I'd close my eyes if I were you," Ron whispered.

And so she did.

The lively Celtic music was gone, and the only rhythm she could hear was the sporadic beating of her heart. When the cold breeze was gone, she inferred that they were already inside the tent. Slowly, both of the arms that supported her let go, leaving her by the entrance.

Hermione counted three seconds in her head. One, two, thr

HOOONK!

"Ah!" She was electrocuted by the sound, every nerve in her body jolting into consciousness. Someone started laughing in front of her, and when she opened her eyes, she found Fred and George Weasley peering at her. One held the specialized Weasley air horn, and the other held the gigantic party popper.

Removing a couple of crepe paper in her hair, she jabbed a finger at both of them in accusation. "You—"

Fred gulped. "Uh oh—"

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you. . ."

Hermione looked past the twins' shoulders in awe, cupping her hands on her mouth. Everybody stood before her, clapping their hands and singing at the top of their lungs, party hats placed on top of their heads. All of them stood behind a gargantuan table, filled with food and sweets and drinks.

"Oh Merlin!" She exclaimed.

All of the Weasleys were there. Even Charlie. Even Bill and Fleur. Harry and Ron stood in the middle, eyes lighting up with joy, and some of their Gryffindor friends stood on either side of them: Luna, Cho, Seamus, Dean and Neville.

Fred and George joined the rest of them, singing merrily. "Happy birthday, happy birthday,"—all of them prolonged the last syllable—"happy birthday to you!"

Hermione wiped a lone tear from her eyes, coming up to them. It was a blur of hugs and kisses and handshakes. A blur of smiling faces and aromas. Happiness bubbled inside of her, and adrenaline seeped into her veins as she received each hug and kiss and handshake.

She endearingly looked at her Gryffindor friends, nostalgia tugging at her for a second, and when Harry and Ron ran up to her, she pinched both of their cheeks.

"You—" she said when she pinched Ron's.

"—guys!" She pinched Harry's then. Both of her best friends rubbed their cheeks sheepishly. "You didn't have to do this."

"We wanted you to have the best and rocking birthday ever, 'Mione," Harry replied. "Look, everyone's here with you!" He gestured at all the people around them, chatting and mumbling with grins and high-pitched tones.