CHAPTER 4 - CLOSING DOORS

"Yeah, as long as we know we're trapped, we still have a chance to escape."

-

We quickly got Aurora up to speed. She seemed to absorb everything, nodding slowly.

Aurora was tugging on her hair, which was short, shorter than the hair of many of the boys. She was clenching and unclenching her hand. She and I were alone, Alby and Newt having left about fifteen minutes before.

"So, Jessie and Newt?" Aurora asked, looking up. I grimaced, knowing what she was thinking.

"No," I said quietly. "I think hey both wants something more, but Newt feels guilty because of Paige."

Even her name was bitter. Paige has died almost a year ago, and she still was a heavy shadow over the entire Glade.

Aurora winced. "He really loved her, huh?"

I nodded. "You missed his grieving stage. He even ran off into the Maze one day, not on a job. He didn't come back for hours. Minho found him in a side corridor, leg all screwed up. He says it was a griever..." I shrugged. "I don't believe him. You only get that kind of injury from a high fall."

Aurora shuddered. "You think he tried jumping off the Maze wall?"

"Yeah," I said. Aurora nodded.

We sat in silence for a moment, pondering what could have been. I finally stood.

"Come on, Aurora. Let's get back to the beds."

We entered the Homestead, and passed an exhausted looking Minho. He gave us a smile and hugged Aurora tightly.

"Missed you, shank," he said.

"Let me go, Minho," Aurora said. He did, squeezing her shoulder has he pulled away. Aurora smiled at me before heading into her room.

"So," Minho said quietly.

"So," I said. He pulled me into a hug.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I know what the banishment did to you." I laughed, the sound slightly bitter.

I pulled away quietly.

"I'm okay," I promised. "Not fine, but I'm okay."

"Good," he said seriously. He hesitated.

"What?" I asked, worry swirling in my stomach.

"Alby, Charlotte, and I are going to look at that Griever tomorrow."

I gritted my teeth.

"What if something happens?" I asked. "I should go. I'm a Med-jack."

Minho shook his head.

"No. I'm not letting you put yourself in danger just because we might get hurt," he said firmly.

"You don't let me do anything, Minho," I snapped. He just looked tired.

"Please don't fight with me," he said. I glared at the floor for a moment.

"You're coming back in one piece," I said finally. "If you don't, I'll throw you off the shucking cliff myself."

Minho sighed in relief.

"Of course," he said. He lightly pulled a strand of hair falling out of my bun before heading towards his bedroom.

I watched him leave, knowing I wouldn't sleep tonight.

-

I saw the trio off in the morning. I gave them all a hug, even Alby. He grunted something about modesty before pulling away.

"Love you too," I said sarcastically. He rolled his eyes and beckoned Charlotte and Minho to follow. Minho smiled at me before chasing after Alby.

Newt came up beside me, Thomas in tow.

"They didn't wait for me, the shanks," Newt fake complained. I elbowed him in the side. Thomas just frowned.

"You okay, Greenie?" I asked. He shrugged.

"Now, we wait," I said.

-

About three hours later, Newt and I were sitting alone.

"So, how's lover boy?" He asked. I flinched.

"We're not-"

"I know," Newt said, laughing.

"Shank," I muttered. He just smiled.

"Why don't you tell him?" He asked finally. I rolled my eyes.

"Because I don't want to loose what we have," I said quietly. Newt just shook his head.

"What about Jessie?" I asked. He frowned.

"I care about her," he said. "Shuck. I do. I just..."

"Paige," I said. He nodded. I was silent for a moment.

"She would want you to be happy," I said finally, before moving away to other things.

-

We had reached to end of the day, and there was still no sign of Alby, Minho, or Charlotte.

"What if they don't make it back?" Thomas asked.

"Either they do or they buggin' don't," Newt snapped, just as worried as I was.

"Look!" Someone said. "There they are!"

We all saw them. Minho and Charlotte were dragging a limp Alby between them.

"We have to help them!" Thomas said. With that, the doors began to close.

"Thomas," Newt said, a warning in his voice.

Just before the doors closed, Thomas lunged forward. He vanished behind the walls as the doors closed for the night.