CHAPTER 3 - BEN

CHAPTER 3 - BEN

"Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all -- the apathy of human beings."

-

After Minho's unnerving proclamation, I ended up walking with him back towards the Homestead.

"So, a dead griever?" I asked.

"Yeah," was his only reply. I frowned.

"You alright?" I asked. Minho nodded. For a moment I wondered if he had been stung.

We reached the Homestead and I swept aside the cloth we used a door and bowed.

"My lady," I said, smirking. Minho rolled his eyes and walked past me. I started upstairs, intending to check on Ben, when Minho stopped me.

"I haven't been stung, Ser. Promise," Minho said. He patted my shoulder and then started towards his room.

I opened the door to the room where Ben was kept and stopped short, shocked.

Ben was gone.

-

"Help me! Somebody help!"

As I burst out of the Homestead, my attention was drawn to the large commotion down near the graveyard.

I ran towards it, the skills I had picked up while being a runner still not faded. I got there in time to see Alby, flanked by Jessie, both holding arrows that would end themselves right in Ben's brain.

Ben was facing Thomas, a snarl stretching his features. Alby looked my way and nodded towards the green-veined boy.

"Try to reason with him," Alby said.

"Ben," I said quietly, holding a hand to ward off attack if need be.

His head whipped up, eyes focusing on me.

"Come back to the Homestead," I said slowly. Ben shook his head.

"It's his fault!" Ben screeched. He looked toward Thomas again. "His fault, his fault, his fault, his fault, his fault," Ben began chanting. Alby and Jessie stiffened.

"Ben, you get back in the Homestead right now, or I'll shoot ya," Alby warned. Ben continued his chanting.

I stood, frozen. Alby looked pained for a moment before he let his arrow fly. Ben screamed once more and crumpled to the side, and arrow sticking from the side of his head.

Thomas, who had been silent throughout this whole thing, looked shellshocked. I patted him sympathetically on the shoulder before moving to Ben. Jessie moved to the other side. I took his shoulders, and Jessie took his legs. I could feel Thomas watching us leave, and I bit back an explanation. He had a right to be shocked.

We just murdered one of our own in cold blood.

-

When we got back to the Homestead, I discovered Ben was still alive. The pit of guilt in my stomach grew.

We have to banish him.

I remembered another banishing, much less recent.

-

"Please!" Katie screamed, the collar tight around her neck. "I didn't do it!"

I didn't reply, trying hard not to start yelling myself.

"They can get into your head; you can't even control your own mind!" Katie struggled. With a final heave, the other Keepers and myself shoved her fully into the Maze.

The doors closed with a final bang.

Newt was paled faced next to me.

"I wanted to believe her," he said quietly. "But..."

"But what she did is unforgivable," Alby cut in coldly. "You of all people understand that, Newt."

Newt looked stricken for a moment. I glared at Alby before taking Newt's arm.

"Come on, Newt. Let's go see if we can find some more of those sleeping pills," I said quietly, helping the miserable boy towards the Homestead.

-

I blinked, pulling myself from memories. I call the other Keepers over. The decision is unanimous. Ben was to be banished.

Since the daylight was fading fast, we had to do it quickly. We had everyone set to go in twenty minutes. Thomas came almost last, and watched us collar Ben and begin to push him into the Maze.

Ben began screaming.

All I could think about was Katie. Finally, we shoved Ben in to the Maze.

As the doors closed, I wiped my forehead. Thomas was stock still, staring at the now shut Doors.

I went over to him.

"You probably think we're heartless," I said offhandedly. He stared at me for a moment. "You gotta learn quick Greenie," I said shortly. "There is no room for sentimentality in the Maze."

I saw Aurora standing alone, and rushed towards her. She was still, frowning.

"Sarah?" She said as I approached. I chocked back a gasp, she never remembered names. She looked frightened.

"My head isn't fuzzy anymore," she said quietly. I blinked.

Aurora wasn't in her head anymore. Aurora was cured.