CHAPTER 2 - MISSING MEMORIES

"Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."

-

The startled Greenie stares at Gally, who has just greeted him in a rather derogatory manner.

The Greenie was just looking between Aurora and Gally. I stepped forward, a hand held out to show I was harmless.

"Where am I?" The boy asked.

"Nowhere good," Alby said from behind me. I cast him a glare before turning back to the boy

"Which Keeper he gonna get?" A kid named Emmet squeaked from the back.

"I told ya, shuck-face. He's a kluck. He'll be a Slopper for sure," Gally taunted.

"Shut your holes!" Alby shouted.

I smacked his arm, and jerked my head towards the Greenie.

"What's your name?" He asked sharply, giving no illusion of comfort.

"T-Thomas," he stuttered out, clearly frightened and confused. I sighed.

"Well, shank, you're in for a hell of a ride," I said, before looking up. "It's to late to give ya the Tour."

Thomas just looked over more confused.

"Man, we ain't good at this," Alby remarked. "You're the first Greenbean since Nick was killed."

I winced, remembering the infection that had come from nowhere, killing Nick within 24 hours. I had been helpless, even with my team of Med-Jacks at my back.

"Wait for the bloody tour, Alby," Newt snapped. "Kids gonna have a buggin' heart attack." He held a hand out to Thomas. "Name's Newt, Greenie, and we'll be right cheery if ya'd forgive our klunk-for-brains new leader, here."

After Thomas shook Newt's hand, I extended my own.

"Sarah," I said simply, and shook his hand. "This shank's Aurora," I said, gesturing to the girl hanging off my shoulder. Aurora looked up at her name and suddenly fixated on Thomas.

"He...he..." She started, before seeming to forget what she was going to say and falling silent. I watch her carefully. Aurora is almost never silent, even when she is asleep.

"Everyone scram!" I heard someone call, and saw Jessie wildly waving her arms in an effort to get everyone away. The group slowly dispersed, leaving Newt, Alby, Jessie, Aurora, Charlotte, and myself. Jessie toke Aurora's hand and led her away. I gave her a small smile in thanks.

Charlotte looked Thomas up and down.

"Name, Thomas; anything else?" She asked. I shook my head and Charlotte nodded. "Alright."

She followed Jessie to go find her record book. Charlotte was our record keeper, her main title being the Writer.

Thomas watched her go, confusion clouding his face.

"Come on, Greenie," I said. "I'll find Chuck and help ya get settled in."

Alby and Newt went off, Newt going after Jessie, Alby to yell at some of the track-hoes fooling around.

I watched the Greenie from the corner of my eyes. He was familiar, and as we walked, my mind tugged at memories that should be there, but weren't.

"Do I know you?" Thomas asked abruptly.

"Don't think so, Greenie," I said curtly, slightly surprised he voiced my own thoughts.

Thomas shrugged, and we carried on in silence.

The two of us quickly found Chuck, and after bidding the Greenie goodbye, I jogged back towards the Homestead.

-

About an half-hour later I was standing outside, Jessie by my side. I nudged her slightly.

"What did Newt want?" I asked.

"Nothing," she said. Of all the people in the Glade, Jessie spoke with a sophistication that many of us had lost. "Waiting for your boyfriend?" She teased.

"Not my boyfriend," I muttered. Jessie just smirked and shook her head.

"You are one funny girl, you know that Sarah?"

"Oh yeah. I'm the weirdest shucking thing in this place, 'sides the Grievers," I said, absolutely serious.

Our attention was caught by a figure running through the East Door. It was Minho. He imminently doubled over, and I started running in that direction.

When I reached him, Thomas and Alby were already there.

"Min, you okay?" I asked. He gave a brief nod.

"I can barely talk you shank!" He snapped at Alby. "Get me some water!"

I gave an amused huff at his crass behavior. As he straightened up, he sized up Thomas, before looked between me and Thomas in confusion.

"If I didn't know better, I'd think you shanks were siblings," Minho said. Thomas raised an eyebrow, and I clapped a hand on his shoulder.

"Thomas, meet Minho. He speaks his mind," I said, smiling at Minho.

Alby came running up, a glass of water in his hand. Minho gulped it down.

"Now tell me," Alby demanded. Minho looked towards Thomas. "He's fine," Alby snapped.

"I found a dead griever in the Maze."

-

If you can't tell, the picture is of Sarah. The song is her theme song "The Fighter" by Gym Class Heroes(ft. Ryan Tedder).

Note: Anyone who wishes to make fanart may, I would love some art! I myself am drawing some, but I would really love it is you guys contributed.