5: Rough night, and day

Start from the beginning

I slowly drifted to that place between awake and asleep, never wanting it to end. But eventually every dream has to end, everybody has to wake up. Bucky started to wake up. It started with something small. His heartbeat sped up. After that, his breathing became slightly uneven, still deep, but not uniform as it was before. I could tell when he was almost fully awake, because he was running his hand up and down my back while humming contentedly.

I hummed quietly and scooted a bit further up his chest so my head was tucked under his chin instead of resting on his chest. He took a deep breath and slowly let it out, his breath tickling my cheek. I smiled, and let out a small huff of breath.

"Good morning doll." He said quietly as he moved his hand up and buried it in my hair.

"Did you sleep alright after..." He asked. I hummed again and nodded, before sitting up, pressing my forearm flat against his chest to prop myself up.

"Yeah I slept fine. Thanks for staying with me." I said as I rolled off his chest and stood up. I heard the bed creaking as he stood up as well, and grabbed my phone to text Thor.

Hey, Cap said you needed to talk to me about some stuff you found in Loki's room. I can meet you around noon at the Schawarma downtown. I put my phone down, and grabbed the black hoodie Bucky had worn yesterday. I pulled it on over my tank top, and grabbed a pair of jeans out of my drawer before walking into the bathroom.

That is acceptable Lady (y/n). I will see you then. I sighed and slipped my phone into my pocket before shutting the bathroom door, pulling off my shorts, and pulled the jeans on. I tugged a brush through my hair before putting on a minimal amount of makeup, just to cover the dark circles and redness. I blinked and looked myself in the mirror, not seeing myself. I saw a shell of myself. I had dealt with death before, why was this affecting me so much? He was just one more casualty.

I shook my head and walked out of the bathroom to the living room, intent on watching Supernatural until 11:30, then drive to meet Thor. I sat on the couch and turned on Netflix. I jumped when Bucky sat next to me with two apples. He handed me one and I took it before turning on the show and throwing my legs over Bucky's lap. He gently ran his hand over my legs before speaking quietly.

"(y/n)." He said simply. I hummed in response, my eyes not leaving the screen.

"It's 11:45." Bucky said. I threw myself off the couch and ran into the front room, struggling to slide on my shoes, find my keys, and pull my purse off the hook at the same time. I felt myself tipping sideways and squeaked as Bucky caught me, holding my up as I pulled my shoes on. He pulled my purse off the hook and handed it to me before grabbing my keys off the table next to me.

"Take a deep breath, you're fine (y/n)." He said comfortingly. I took a deep breath and let it out. Everything would be fine, it wouldn't be anything major.

"You're right, I'll be alright." I said as I opened the door.

"I should be back, well, I don't know. I will be back though. Help yourself to anything in the fridge, don't break anything." I said sternly. He rolled his eyes.

"I'm ninety nine years old, what am I gonna do?" He asked jokingly. I stuck my tongue out at him and he retaliated by calling me a name in Russian. I vowed to look it up later. I closed the door behind me as I walked to the elevator. I stepped inside at the same time as the lady across the hall did, I think her name was Jamey.

"So who's the guys?" She asked curiously. She was my age, and single. She had noticed Loki coming to visit sometimes, and must have seen Bucky with me yesterday, then Steve show up. I sighed.

"Friends." I said. She chuckled.

"You sure they're just friends?" She asked. I nodded.

"Alright then. Where you off to?" She asked. I pulled the hoodie tighter around me and willed the tears to stay where they were. I caught a whiff of Bucky on the collar of the hoodie and felt calm wash over me.