42~ Hitting Reality

London Bridge Hospital
27 Tooley Street, London SE1 2PR, UK. 8:30pm

Its been said that you don't truly realize how certain people can affect your life. I find truth in that somewhere, now.
Its also said that you don't realize what you have until its gone. You don't realize that either until a moment has passed and disappeared. Life changes every minute of everyday. We find people. We loose people. But in the end, when we loose somebody, every candle, every prayer doesn't make up for the fact that the only thing we have left is that place in our heart, where that somebody had made their place. And now its all empty. Empty forever.

I sat there with the old woman beside me in the doctor's cabin. All of this happened too suddenly that I still didn't understand what to do or in that case react, rather.

I looked at the woman and she smiled faintly at me. It seemed she knew all this was going to happen , like this was quite predictable but her smile somewhere down the line gave me some relief . Maybe she just assured me that things would get better, sooner or later. But how?! I didn't know.

I looked about when the doctor entered. Her name was Melisa Thacher, as on the name plate. A young lady with blonde hair. Quite thin, with a remarkable height.

She sat down opposite to us and started over,

"You are?! " she asked looking at me.

"Manik... Manik Malhotra...... Husband" the last word just slipped out of my mouth.

"I'm glad you are here!... She needs you the most now.. Nandini" she said looking straight into my eyes.

She needed me?!
Her reply was worrying me now. Why did everything have to be so complicated. I didn't want to go through all this. And each time I thought next day would be better , it turned out to be the absolute opposite.

I went on to ask something but Melisa was already speaking.

"She was admitted here.... I guess... 12 days back... We did the tests... And ..... And she was detected with .... Brain tumor, last stage " she said , the end as slowly as possible and her words came like a thunderclap to my ears. I sat fixed at my position and my hands were turning cold.

"She had an operation... Last week itself.....but surprisingly ... Unlike other patients, she didn't complain once about the pain.. .. Neither did she beg, to be alive....She let us do what we had to... I guess there was this other pain.. Or maybe sorrow or regret inside her which was growing each day.. because of which she didn't actually mind the physical harm.... I had been on check for quite a while but she... She would just lie their lifeless on the hospital bed and often I noticed tears rolling down her eyes..."

I was too consumed with what I just heard. I closed my eyes shut, stopping those tears. I cursed myself for being so rude and cruel with her. Maybe if she would have told me earlier, we could have saved her. I was at loss of words, not knowing what to do. I looked back at the doctor and her face clearly said, there was more to it.

"How long will she... " I said, blankly.

"I won't lie, we are going to give it one last shot after she regains her senses... But yes... Chances she survives are not even 5 percent...... "
.