Siren - Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Postponing his address to the public, the king could let the ladies-in-waiting think his son was married for a few more hours. Mallach had never been one to faun over the fairer sex. But this issue, of the Sumoian siren girl, could not wait.

He stood in his drawing room, along with his son and Lady Moonstone. His back to them, he faced the fireplace, eyes gazing into the blaze and taking the time to choose his words carefully.

Sighing, he turned back to face them both.

"I have never been one to believe in myths and fairy tales," he began briskly, "but after discussing the matter at hand with Lady Moonstone, it has come to my attention that this may be more real than any of us have thought. It is a pressing and urgent matter that needs to be dealt with. Tell me, Mallach, how exactly did you meet this girl? Leave no detail out."

Mallach shifted nervously. He could escape the unknowing glare of his father, but could not escape the knowing gaze of Lady Moonstone. At that point in time, he wished he was back in that blasted town of Calisto.

"You remember when I asked for a bigger allowance, and you told me to procure money on my own?" The king nodded. "Well, I thought of everything I could do in terms of not really working, and came up with nothing. Then, one night, it came to me - an assassin."

The king bade him to continue with a wave of his hand.

"I started spreading rumours about a cunning assassin by the name of Orcus. Soon, half the land was spinning much better tales than I could have come up with. Everyone said he could be found at the castle, here, in Sumoia. Of course it was a complete lie, but soon the letters started finding their way into the hands of servants."

"And why had I not been informed of this 'cunning assassin'?" replied the king, looking as if he could have used the mythical Orcus' services.

"I'm not sure. Perhaps the servants did not want you to worry, as the -"

"Yes, yes, I know, son. Please, continue."

Lady Moonstone raised a brow. There was an air of awkward silence before Mallach continued.

"Almost a week ago, I received a letter from one Edward Reilly. He needed my services. I was going to decline, but... there was money in it, he said. A lot of money. 1000 dollars, to be exact. I came to Calisto with Octavious to see if he was bluffing, and it turns out he was not. I was paid the money to kill Clara."

"And the reason you failed to?" he roared. Lady Moonstone shrunk back a bit. Mallach could not place her reaction to his yelling, or the fact that his father cared nothing for the fact that he would have taken an innocent life.

"She spoke my name, father. And ever since, I was entranced. I have not been able to help myself." His father winced as though he had been hit in the stomach.

"Then what Lady Moonstone has said is true." He looked helplessly at her.

"Oh, do calm down. You look like a wounded animal." He sank back into a chair and burried his face in his hands. She turned to Mallach. "There is a known cure... one that may be impossible to find. But you are in luck, to the misfortune of others," she said crisply, "something I'm sure will not bother you due to your past examples." Mallach looked away into the flames. "Looking away will do you no good, young one. I hear everything that does not pass your lips. Your mind speak is as clear to me as your words -- or Clara's hand language. You knew, but you did not stop. Have you no shame?" Mallach covered his ears with his hands. He closed his eyes and took another very deep breath.

"I had no choice. I was paid to do the task."

"You could not have understood how you felt about her even before she spoke your name, could you? That feeling, what was it? Doubt you thought? Compassion? A sort of pity. She has lost her father, been thrown from her home, had a price lain heavy on her head, and she does the only thing she can to save herself -- lay her curse upon you. Is that so bad? She may be a commoner, but I find you are far more attracted to her than any other woman you've dealt with and--"