Chapter One: Who I'm Supposed To Be

When I was younger I thought I was like everyone else, as normal and boring as normal gets. I still like to think that, but some people don't. I'm writing this story as a biography of sorts. So I can see it in black and white and people can understand and see what it is like from my point of view.

My name is Katerina Angelina Rodrigo. I am twenty-one years old and the last born of seven children to Mariana and Carlos Rodrigo.

When my mother was fourteen her parents, my grandparents, introduced her to the man she would be marrying. My mother had been born into a very cultural family that still believed in arranged marriages. At the age of sixteen my father formally asked for my mother hand in marriage. When she turned seventeen she was married to her twenty-five-year-old groom. Although theirs was an arranged marriage my mother and father love each other deeply.

After they got married my parents did what was expected of them by both families and had their first child. Carlos Angelo Rodrigo the second. Carlos was an exact replica of my father and at twenty-five, after having three children, he died. Carlos left behind two twin boys and a younger girl.

Second born to my parents was m fathers little princess Ragina. Even now at the age of forty-seven. Ragina is a doctor, married her high school sweetheart and has never done anything wrong in the eyes of our father. She always stayed in when other children went out. She stayed home for university. She never partied a day in her life and the only alcohol she drinks is red wine. No-one has ever been as perfect as Ragina, not even god himself.

Then came Cornilio. Given that no one could be better than Ragina I think he was always at a disadvantage. Nothing was ever special about him. He never was an excellent academic, just did well enough to pass. Never the athletic type although he was fit. Never got married although he dates regularly. It just seems as if he is never good enough. Now at the age of forty-four he is a detective for the police. However, he will never be good enough to take Carlos's place and inherit the family business.

My mother's favorite child was always Christiano. I'm never sure if it was because he was the one most devoted to my mother's catholic religion, or that he was the sweetest of her sons. Maybe it was his gentle nature. Whatever it was, it earned him enough point to allow him to marry his best friend, whom my mother hated, and still be her favorite child. Although he is perfect for the part, Christiano refuses to join the family business. He says he's construction company and church, are too important and take too much time, for him to participate. My father was livid about this but thanks to my mother's love my father has not yet killed him. At thirty-eight he is married to his wife and has one boy child.

Demetrio was the trouble maker as a child. He would always get into trouble, do what he shouldn't, be where he isn't allowed. This wasn't a problem earlier but the older he got the worse it became. He started doing drugs in university and has never been able to keep a job. He's in and out of rehab and can't even take care of his own two children. This immediately made him illegible for the inheritance. Especially since at the age of thirty -three my dad is still cleaning up his messes.

After that my parents thought they were too old for children. They gave up and started enjoying the joys of being grandparent. But the at thirty-nine my mother had a surprise baby, que Antonio. He is the perfect son. Athletic, handsome, intelligent, successful (well at least for a twenty-five-year-old) and spoilt. A new son for them to raise. It was a miracle, however, their joy blind-sided them and they spoilt him too much. Now, he has no aim in life and no motivation. Therefore, the perfect son doesn't see why he needs to learn the tricks of the family trade.

When they were done and happy four years later, my mother ended up pregnant again. It was not a miracle but a test my mother said. "God, wanted to test our love and show us that we are capable of more, so he gave us our own little angel." So, I,Katerina Angelina Rorigo, was named. I am a twenty-one-year-old who has always been babied and is assumed to be nothing but immature and prone to mistakes. My father's worst disappointment. Especially because I remind him of my mother.

My Father is a brutish man. Tall, handsome, successful, rich, drive and a gentleman. He works hard to make his business the best in his industry. He seems normal to everyone who doesn't know who he is. He seemed normal to me, until that awful time when I was sixteen when the worst kind of tragedy struck my family.