Chapter 2

When I woke up, I looked at my surroundings. They were unfamiliar and new to me. Then I remembered. I was in that guy's apartment! I looked at the time and saw that it was 9:02. And I was also hungry.

Ugh! I'm so stupid!

"I can't believe I slept through a whole day!" I exclaimed.

Then I slapped my hand over my mouth. I can't be too loud! People could grow curious. I picked up Charlie and crawled out of the recliner.

"We have to get out of here. Quickly." I whispered.

I pulled the movie out of the vcr and put it back in its covering. I slipped it back into the box and turned off the tv. I did the same with the gramophone. I tried to make things look like I was never here.

"Come on Charlie!" I said, hurrying my little dog.

We ran towards the door, but it was too late. The door opened and the man stepped inside. We stared at each other for a while. Charlie began growling and I looked over to see a knife on the table when the man's voice spoke;

"Don't even think about it."

I looked at him.

"Then don't hurt me."

"I wouldn't hurt you." He said.

He held out his hand and I hesitated and looked up at him. I searched his eyes but found no sign of an icy threat.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"I just want to help you." He said.

"Who are you?"

"I'm Steve Rogers."

I shook his hand.

"I'm Maddy." I said.

He nodded and shut the door.

"What were you doing in here?" He asked.

I looked down at Charlie and he looked up at me and perked up his ears and tilted his head. I looked back up at Steve. I shrugged.

"I needed food." I said.

He nodded.

"I see."

He walked into the kitchen and I followed him. He started making some coffee and he turned around.

"You know how to keep a house clean." He said.

I smiled.

"My mom taught me how to clean, even though the place we lived wasn't supposed to be clean anyway."

"Where are your parents?" He asked.

Tears began to sting in my eyes and I looked down.

"Um... They got sick." I sniffed.

"Oh." He said.

I looked back up and I felt a tear slide down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away.

"Um... Ha sorry you had to see me like this." I said, sniffing again.

Charlie wined and I picked him up.

"So it's just been you and your pooch?" Asked Steve.

I nodded and took a deep breath.

"His name's Charlie." I said, petting my little mutt.

"He's a cutie."

I looked up and smiled.

"Thanks." I said.

He smiled at me. Guess I made a friend.

"I'm sorry I broke into your apartment... And took your food... And your sweater..." I said, looking up, "and listened to your records... And watched your movies... And fell asleep on your chair..."