Chapter 9

I opened my eyes and saw darkness. The darkness began to fade and I found myself in an ally standing alone. My clothes were ratty and my hair was greasy and tangled. I then had the sudden urge to run. I heard dogs barking and I began to run. I looked back and saw a mob of angry people following me. I didn't know what they wanted. It scared me and tears began to stream down my face.

I ran faster and faster and they began shouting at me. I stumbled and quickly recovered and ran again.

I almost ran over a man that jumped out in front of me. It was the man that started fighting Steve on Main Street. He began shouting at me but I couldn't hear his words. I ran around him.

The faster I ran, the louder the shouts were. Some people screamed "You killed them!" "You're the reason they're gone!" or some of them said "Hail H.Y.D.R.A.!"

As I was running, I noticed a furry something in the road. It started barking at me when I realized it was Charlie. I began to run towards him to grab him but then...

The scenery changed and I was in my old house. I calmed down a little and looked around. Everything was the same from before my dad died. I found my mom on the couch, crying.

"M-Mom?" I asked.

She looked up and her face turned pale. She gave me the meanest look she ever gave me.

"You!" She screamed.

She grabbed my arm and her nails dug into my skin. Her jaw clenched and her nostrils flared, sending chills down my spine.

"You killed him! You killed my husband!" She yelled.

Tears stung my eyes and spilled down my face. I tried to pull away but my mother's grip tightened. Blood began streaming down my arm as her nails pierced my skin.

"Gaaah! Mom! Please let go of me!" I screamed.

"Never! You will pay for what you did to me!" She screamed.

"Mom! Let go!"

I tried pulling away again but it was useless. The scene changed again and I was in a jail cell, chained to a wall. There was a mob in front of me again. They yelled at me and ridiculed me. Their voices blended into one and I couldn't understand a single word.

"Please stop! I don't understand!" I screamed.

"Your parents are dead because of you!" A woman screamed.

"You're a disappointment to them both!" A man yelled.

The scene changed a final time. We were on a battlefield. I saw everyone I loved. I saw my mom, my dad, Steve, even Charlie. Then the bombs came. They hit all the people I loved. I couldn't do anything. It's like I was there to watch, nothing more. I sank down to the ground and started crying. Everything went dark...

"NO!!!!" I woke up, screaming and drenched in sweat.

I curled up in my bed and started crying, breathing hard and not taking a break to stop. I heard the sound of feet running towards my room.

"Maddy!"

I scooted closer to the backboard of my bed.

"Maddy?"

I whimpered in response.

The figure opened my door and started walking towards my bed.

"No! Please don't hurt me!" I screamed, sobbing into my sheets.

"Maddy. Shh ShortCake it's me. It's Steve."

I wiped more of my tears away and got a little bit closer to Steve.

"St-Steve?" I asked, sniffing.

"Yeah kiddo."

"You're not d-dead?"

"No. I'm right here."

Steve sat on my bed and I crawled over to him. He hugged me and started rubbing my back as I snuggled into his chest, shaking.

"I d-didn't mean t-to kill them." I whimpered softly.

"Shh shh. It was just a nightmare." Steve said.

He picked me up and took me back to the headboard and sat down with me. I curled up in his lap and looked up at him with tears in my eyes. He wiped the remaining tears off my face.

"I'm right here. I won't leave you unless you want me to." Steve said.

He pulled back the covers and I snuggled against him. He rubbed my back and I started to calm down.

"You're a good brother." I whispered as I began falling asleep.

"You're a good sister." Steve said.

That was the last thing I heard before I fell asleep.