Chapter 1: the gift

(The picture of the girl is the main character K? Enjoy the story)

It was night and the stars were out. The sky was deepest shade of blue. In a big quiet mansion, there lived a woman named Mal, who was 25 years old. She had green eyes and black hair. Mal was home, looking up at the night sky from her bedroom balcony. Her skin glowed so well under the moonlight. She looked up and thought she felt warm hands embrace her from behind, but as she turned around quickly, she saw no one there. Her heart sped up a little from the fright. She took a deep breath and sighed. Mal looked at the sky one more time then went to her bed and rested. As she slept she had a dream. She dreamed that she was lost in the dark woods. It was creepy and old. She was dressed in a white gown and was being chased. She didn't know what was chasing her, but she ran for her life. Mal tripped and the beautiful gown tore, no longer was white. As the dream was coming close to an end, a knock on the door awoke Mal and she sprung up in fear. She was covered in cold sweat. She grabbed her robe, put it on and quickly put on her slippers. She went toward the front door and opened it, but when she peered forth, no one was there. All there was left was a gift. The gift was wrapped up in silver wrapping paper and a gold ribbon tied around it. She brought the gift inside and closed the door behind her. Mal opened up the box and their lie a beautiful necklace with a ruby gemstone tied to a black string. There was something else in the box. With closer inspection, she saw it was a note. Mal read aloud, "My dearest niece Mal, you have come all this way to Boston and I am so glad you made it safely, but now your journey for the quest of the most powerful gemstones in the world has begun, take care darling, and don't let the shadows follow. I will send him on his way to protect you. Love, Aunt Julian." Mal put the necklace on, but was entirely confused from the note. She was most baffled and thought, who is him? Who was her aunt sending to her? Mal concluded that this was madness. She headed upstairs, but before she was reached the top, she heard a loud crash of pots and pans fall. She went running down to the kitchen to see what had happened. She couldn't see what it was when she switched on the light. Mal saw nothing, but her cooking utensils on the floor. She bent down to pick them up, but before she did, she felt a light tap on her shoulder. Mal looked back suddenly and saw a tall man behind her. His eyes were a warm brown and he had blonde hair. He had a bright smile and she couldn't help noticing that he was pretty fit.

"Hey, you are Mal, right?" the stranger asked her. She just quickly picked up the pots and pans. "Please, get out of my house, I don't like strangers," Mal pleaded after picking up the pots and pans, trying to hurry out the kitchen. The handsome man stood in front of the doorway blocking the exit. "I just need to know if you are Mal or not," he said. "I am Mal, now move. I'm tired, I would like some rest," Mal said and when he stepped aside, she walked out of the kitchen, heading straight up to her room. "Well I'm Jackel, so I guess it was nice meeting you, Mal?" Jackel said confused. Jackel followed Mal and when she layed down he poked her in the stomach. "Why are you sleeping so early?" he asked.

"I have work, Jackel. Now please, go away," Mal said, putting her sleep mask on. Jackel just shrugged his shoulders and went downstairs. Mal went down to see and make sure Jackel wasn't going to rob her, when she looked around the corner, she saw him digging through her fridge.

"What the hell do you think you are doing?" Mal said with an annoyed tone.

"I'm hungry, god, you can't be so selfish," he paused and grabbed the last three slices of pizza from my fridge, "especially with a guy like me. I got a big appetite."

"You're such a fat ass," Mal said, rolling her eyes.

Jackel warmed up the three pizzas and gave one. Mal took the slice.

"There, you happy, doll face?" Jackel said, taking a bite out of one the slices. "I don't like you so far and I don't even know you." Mal said nibbling on her pizza. "Listen, I know I'm an ass, but I'm not like this all the time, I promise." he said, looking me straight in the eyes. "Uh huh, sure," Mal said, sarcastically. Mal took the last uneaten slice of pizza and put it back.