“Bye.”

            I shook my head as I walked away. That boy could be so stubborn sometimes. But luckily, I was even more stubborn. I think he was finally figuring that out.

            After school, I went directly home. Liam was sitting in the kitchen when I entered the house and he looked up at me. “Hey, how was school?”

            “Pretty good I guess. Classes are boring, but at least I’m making some friends.”

            “How are things going with that boy?”

            I looked at him in surprise. “How’d you know about that?”

            “You’re my niece, so I try and keep up with your life.” When I looked at him funny, he grinned. “By that I mean, Jared told me.”

            “Ah, that makes sense. Well, Blake is stubborn and ornery, but I’m slowly wearing him down. I think he’s realized that I won’t let him push me away with his attitude.”

            “Well, you are definitely stubborn, so I feel sorry for the poor boy. He doesn’t stand a chance against you.”

            I gave him a cheeky smile. “You’re probably right. I’m going to take Tonto to the park. Blake said he might be there, so I don’t know when I’ll be home. I’ll have my phone on me if you need to get in touch with me.”

            Liam nodded. “Sounds good. I’ll get Grace to leave you a plate so you can have it when you get home if you’re hungry. I have to leave tomorrow for a conference, so I’ll be gone for a couple of days. Jared should be around, but if not, try not to burn the house down, okay?”

            I walked over to him and kissed his cheek. “No promises. Have fun at your conference. I’ll see you when you get back.”

            “No parties while I’m gone,” he called as I left the room.

            I chuckled as I walked to my room to drop off my bag. My uncle knew very well that I hated parties, so he knew that I wouldn’t be throwing one while he was away.

            After I had deposited my bag, I whistled for Tonto. He came racing around the corner and skidded to a stop in front of me. I scratched his head affectionately. “Want to go for a walk boy?”

            Tonto started dancing in place, so I took that as a yes. I walked back to the front door with him on my heels and I grabbed his leash. As I was fastening it too his collar, the door opened and Jared came in.

            He stopped when he saw me. “Hey Hales. Going somewhere?”

            “Yeah, Tonto and I are going to the park. He needs the exercise because of all the extra cookies my uncle has been giving him.”

            Jared nodded. “I think you’re right. He is getting a little chunky. When do you think you’ll be back?”

            I shrugged. “I don’t know. Depends on if Blake actually shows up or not.”

            He smiled at me. “You wearing him down?”

            “Slowly but surely,” I replied. “Are you home for the night?”

            He shook his head. “No, I have another date tonight.”

            I raised an eyebrow. “Really? Same girl?”