Chapter Twenty-Three: Heart Palpitations

Start from the beginning

            “Morning,” he spoke breaking the silence and she looked up at him before going back to her phone without saying anything. He sat down in the seat in front of her and she looked up at him.

            “Shouldn’t you be moping about somewhere?” she asked and smirked. “Oh wait that’s your other friends. Although you fall in that category as well too don’t you?” she asked and he sighed.

            “You don’t have to be so cruel. I know it’s just a wall you put up,” he replied and she rolled her eyes.

            “Listen honey, you don’t know anything about me. So don’t pretend you do. I’m not here to make friends. That was never the goal. I’m here for one thing and one thing only, to win,” she said and got up to leave the room.

            “How do you do it?” he asked and she turned around smiling.

            “Do what?” she asked and he knew that she was just playing him.

            “Keep yourself so heartless.”

            “Heartless? You think I’m heartless?” she asked and laughed. “I’m flattered! Really I am! I think I do have a heart. It’s just not accessible, let alone to you,” she answered.

            “Do you still hurt?” he whispered and felt stupid for asking. He wanted to know more about her.

            “Don’t you?” she asked and took a step closer to him. “Have you not been using…my gift?” she asked and he thought back to her gift.

            “You said it’d help me,” he whispered and thought of the cut hiding beneath his watch.

            “And it will. You have all the power now. No one else can hurt you,” she said and took another step closer. He looked into her dark eyes and saw a glint in them. She looked determined as she took a final step forward and he found her lips on his.

            He hadn’t been expecting it and he willed himself to break the kiss, but he didn’t. She was actually kissing him back and he didn’t want it to end.

            “What the hell are you doing?” he heard a voice exclaim and Rebecca stepped away as she turned to look at Aiden who was giving her the death glare.

            “We were just socializing,” Rebecca grinned and winked at Declan who blushed.

            “Yeah well go socialize somewhere else we don’t need you getting in the way,” Aiden answered and she took a step towards him.

            “Last time I checked I wasn’t kissing you.”

            “As if I’d want a kiss from a serpent like you,” Aiden spat and turned to look at Declan.

            “What are you doing kissing the enemy?” he demanded and Declan shrugged.

            “I can’t wait to see you leave this competition,” Rebecca said to Aiden before turning and leaving the room without so much as a glance at Declan. He felt his heart drop in disappointment.

            “Why’d you have to interrupt?” he grumbled to Aiden who raised his eyebrows.

            “Are you kidding me!? She’s playing with you! You’ve seen all she’s done so far. Everything she’s done has been to sabotage the other contestants and have herself come on top! Do you really want to be added to her list of victims? That bitch is crazy,” Aiden concluded and Declan shook his head.